Re: [PBML] program example

  • Will K.
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 28, 2002
      Just a note in defense of Mrs Hamilton. I know her personally, and she has told me she has an e-book coming out in a few weeks. Perhaps this will update the knowledge base/skillset she teaches.

      Also, I am not a programmer by any means, nor do I really care to be, but her explanations (while perhaps not comprehensive) are nevertheless clearer than anyone else's teaching I've found. What I couldn't wring out of teachers from two years of college she consensed into one night's reading, and I found it easy.

      Many people don't know even the basics of CGI to explain it to the lay person, and sometime those who know offer explanations that are too geeky, complex and abstreuse for beginners or the lay person to grasp.

      I am not contending what you say, but just trying to offer a second opinion on the book.

      Thanks,

      Will

      Please throw this book away. I looked at some examples
      online and I read the introduction. Ms. Hamilton started
      writing this book in 1996 and failed to update her
      programming skills. Chapter 17 mentions: The Officia
      Guide to Programming With CGI.pm, by Lincoln Stein. The
      author has either failed to read or has failed to learn from
      this book.

      In most perl programming communities the lack of using
      strict and warnings will get you ignored by many. Switching
      between CGI.pm and "hand-coded" HTML is annoying. The
      author either doesn't know or care about properly formed
      HTML.

      For instance, <p> goes at the beginning of a paragraph
      of text, not the end of a line. The end of a line uses <br />
      in the latest version of CGI not <br>. The form below
      won't validate. Matt Wright used <p> like this. I wonder if
      they went to school together.Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com