Re:Yesterday (was help)

  • Ken Arck
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 27, 2002
      Thanks for your patience in this Charles, I really appreciate it.

      Maybe it would help to explain what I'm trying to do here.

      OWWNOGUI is an app that runs on my linux box. It gathers weather data from
      a 1-wire Dallas sensor array (wind speed, direction and temp). Whenever it
      is run, it normally outputs its data to the console and makes a log entry
      that is identical to the console output.

      What I'm doing is piping the console output to a file, parsing that file
      for the weather data as "current conditions" and writing an html file for a
      webpage. I want to take the data from the previous day (from the log
      entries), average it and display it on the same webpage as "yesterday's
      conditions". All this will be cron'd to run every 5 minutes.

      My only real hangup has been how to identify the log entries starting with
      yesterday's date (relative to the localtime of course). It struck me that
      since each line in the log starts with mm/dd/yy, all I really need do is
      check the dd field, since that will alway be unique relative to today's date.

      Does this clarify things or have I just muddled things more?

      Ken