26556Re: default dns server?

  • Brian
    Mar 20, 2009
      sortof, closest I could find there was Net::DNS::ToolKit::get_ns but that didn't want to work on my machine.

      basically - the system knows what it's name servers are. I just want the script to know too, without just doing something like:

      awk '/server/{print $2}' /etc/resolv.conf

      I prefer not to use qx// or system() if I don't have to?

      I did try:

      http://search.cpan.org/~olaf/Net-DNS-0.65/lib/Net/DNS.pm#Find_the_nameservers_for_a_domain.

      but what that seems to actually do is query the nameserver for a list of nameservers. How does it query the nameserver? It just knows what my ns is from /etc/resolv.conf, and asks that guy. I don't want that, I just want it to tell me what is in resolv.conf. I'd like something that works well enough on other platforms too; I don't want to assume an /etc/resolv.conf

      maybe I'm just making it more complicated than it needs to be, though?

      Brian

      but that gave me the roothints servers - it responded with

      --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, "wlanie01" <wlanie01@...> wrote:

      > --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, "Brian" <brianlamere@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I'm trying to find out what my primary dns server is, within a perl script. It just happens to be an AD server, and I need to point to it as a AD machine instead of a dns machine, but I thought I'd look up primary dns instead of hard-coding a name or IP. Any suggestions? can't seem to find an answer on google; lots of non-relevant results.
      > >
      > > Thanks!
      > > Brian
      > >
      > Is this what you need? Not sure I understand what you are trying to do...
      > http://www.net-dns.org/

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic