Re: [perfmeas] standardisation

  • Jack Zigon
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 5, 2002
      On 1/23/02 5:09 AM, "MStoate@..." <MStoate@...> wrote:

      > I work for a public sector organisationthat that is currently looking at
      > developing and improving its Performance and Development Review system. We
      > are particularly looking at how managerial assessment/appraisal can be
      > 'scrutinised' by peers and senior managers to try to ensure consistency and
      > fairness in the system Who does what and when? Has anyone any systems that
      > work?
      > I would be grateful for any help.
      >
      > Mary Stoate

      Mary,

      Managers can review the goals at the beginning of the year to determine that
      they are aligned with organizational goals, verifiable and set high enough
      to contribute to the organization.

      They can review the actual performance data vs. the goals during the year.

      If they do both of the above well, there will be little need for reviewing
      the ratings at the ending of the year.

      -- Jack

      Jack Zigon mailto:jack@...
      President http://www.zigonperf.com
      Zigon Performance Group Voice: 610-891-9599
      604 Crum Creek Road Fax: 610-891-9055
      Media, PA 19063-1646 USA Orders: 800-244-2892

      >> Performance measurement for hard-to-measure work and teams
      > New CDROM Products http://www.zigonperf.com/store/cdrom.html
    • Jack Zigon
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 7, 2002
        On 2/7/02 2:32 PM, "vally06@..." <vally06@...> wrote:

        > Recently, I have begun a study on Performance Appraissal instruments and how
        > effective they have become. I am concentrating on managerial and employee
        > perception on 360 Degree Feedback. If your organization uses this instrument
        > to review there employees, please contact me. I would like to know management
        > and employee views on how it has helped or not. Thanks.

        I don¹t use them, but I believe there are several articles on my website
        where people have evaluated users¹ perceptions of these systems. Look under
        360 evaluation on this page:

        <http://www.zigonperf.com/resources/pmnews.html>

        -- Jack

        Jack Zigon mailto:jack@...
        President http://www.zigonperf.com
        Zigon Performance Group Voice: 610-891-9599
        604 Crum Creek Road Fax: 610-891-9055
        Media, PA 19063-1646 USA Orders: 800-244-2892

        >> Performance measurement for hard-to-measure work and teams
        > New CDROM Products http://www.zigonperf.com/store/cdrom.html

      • Lisa Baker
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 7, 2002
          We use self assessment and peer input to assist in our performance appraisals. To be honest, our employees hate to self assess and they have a hard time giving feedback on their peers.

          However, this being year #2 since introducing these methods, I should state that feedback I received after performance appraisals were completed was that people felt more at ease at using the forms but they also stated that they felt more comfortable talking to the peer's manager directly instead of just submitting forms.

          On the management side, managers see the importance of self assessment and peer input but express concern that it really makes the process more difficult and timely. Still a hard sell in my organization.

          I would be very interested in seeing the findings of your research.

          Lisa Baker
          HR Administrator
          Ontario College of Pharmacists
          (416) 962-4861
          Fax (416) 703-3114

          >>> Jack Zigon <jack@...> 02/07/02 02:47pm >>>
          On 2/7/02 2:32 PM, "vally06@..." <vally06@...> wrote:

          > Recently, I have begun a study on Performance Appraissal instruments and how
          > effective they have become. I am concentrating on managerial and employee
          > perception on 360 Degree Feedback. If your organization uses this instrument
          > to review there employees, please contact me. I would like to know management
          > and employee views on how it has helped or not. Thanks.

          I donˆt use them, but I believe there are several articles on my website
          where people have evaluated usersˆ perceptions of these systems. Look under

          Post message: perfmeas@yahoogroups.com
          Subscribe: perfmeas-subscribe@yahoogroups.com