La linguo Ido

  • pgomezidista
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 3, 2003
      Kara amiki:
      The international language Ido - a general description

      It would be very useful if we could talk with people in other
      countries, or correspond with them, as we can with people in our own
      country. However, the language barrier often makes this difficult if
      not impossible.

      The answer to this problem given by many people is: let them (that
      is, everyone else) learn English! Certainly English is the most
      widely spoken language in the world, but it requires a lot of time
      and some skill to learn it at all well, and it is far from
      universally spoken. Moreover, because it is the language of certain
      countries, it is not a neutral language. For those who speak English,
      "let them learn English" may be an attractive answer, but the French,
      for example, see things differently.

      Therefore the UN has five official languages, and UNESCO has eight.
      The European Community/Union has a similar number, and spends vast
      amounts of money on translation and interpreting. Although English
      and French predominate in the EC/EU, the Germans are now asking for
      German to be used more.

      Using just one national language would give enormous political and
      cultural advantages to the country or countries for which the chosen
      language is the native tongue. Consequently this solution is often
      unacceptable to the others, although the Universal Postal Union still
      uses French as its official language.

      The answer to this situation is to use a neutral invented language
      like Esperanto or Ido. Such a language would not replace natural
      languages (that would be vandalism) but be used as a bridge between
      people who otherwise could not communicate. In this way we can meet
      each other half way, with little or no advantage for any one group.

      The chosen language should not be too artificial. The vocabulary
      should be based on existing languages (some of which already have
      many words in common, despite differences in spelling and
      pronunciation). The grammar should be as simple as possible, without
      all the exceptions and idiomatic uses which plague the learner of
      national languages.

      This idea inspired among others Father Schleyer, the inventor of
      Volapuk, and Dr L. Zamenhof, the inventor of Esperanto, whose
      language remains the best known of its type over a century since it
      was first launched. After some years of trying it (and some earlier
      and later inventions) in practice, various improvements were
      suggested.

      For example, Zamenhof required adjectives in Esperanto to agree in
      number and case with the nouns they qualify, so an adjective has four
      possible endings. There is no real need for this complication, as
      English and Hungarian - with their invariable adjectives - show, and
      as Zamenhof later agreed. However, for various reasons no changes
      were made to the rules of Esperanto.

      It was on the basis of improvements such as this that a group of
      scientists and linguists developed Ido. The committee included the
      Danish linguist Professor Otto Jespersen and the French mathematician
      and philosopher Professor Louis Couturat. They took the best from
      Esperanto and from another invention, Idiom Neutral, added further
      improvements, and developed a language which is almost certainly the
      easiest in the world, yet at the same time one of the most precise.

      Another improvement was one which again Zamenhof had pointed out
      would be very logical and convenient. In Esperanto words for people
      and animals (words such as 'actor' or 'lion') tend to be for the
      male, with the word for the female being derived by using a suffix
      (often '-ess' in English). The alternative Zamenhof later preferred,
      but unfortunately did not implement, is to make such words neutral
      (like 'cousin' and 'pilot' in English), and to derive both male and
      female forms by use of appropriate suffixes.

      Ido also has a useful pronoun, as does Finnish, which means either he
      or she, and can therefore be used whenever it is irrelevant or
      unnecessary to be more specific. Some people wish we had such a
      pronoun in English so as to avoid saying 'he or she' or writing
      'he/she' or 's/he'!

      In Ido, therefore, but not in Esperanto, these and other improvements
      were adopted, and the result is preferred by nearly everyone who has
      studied equally these two semi-artificial international languages or
      dialects which otherwise share much in common - including the
      inspiration of Schleyer and in particular of Zamenhof.

      It is to the credit of the Esperanto movement that, through its
      undoubted fervour, it has done so much to make the idea of a neutral
      international language relatively well known. However, although
      Esperanto is widely known about, and is a relatively easy language,
      its special accented letters and unnecessary complications have put
      off many who are attracted by the idea it represents. Ido carries
      forward where Esperanto left off.

      Those who have experienced Ido know how good it is being able to
      concentrate on what you want to say and not having to think, at the
      same time, about how you have to say it.

      So much for the theory, but how does it work in practice?
      International gatherings of people who speak Ido have taken place in
      a number of countries and have demonstrated that the idea really
      works in practice.

      There are many publications in or about Ido, including vocabularies
      and grammar books for speakers of a variety of languages from Swedish
      to Japanese. There is even a surprising amount of poetry in Ido,
      including a wonderful 'heroical-comical' story in verse (Andreas
      Juste's La Serchado). There is a new world waiting to be discovered
      by anyone who makes the small effort required to understand this
      remarkable language.

      Using the language is a hobby in itself of course, as well as a way
      of contributing to better understanding in the world.

      Further information: www.idolinguo.com
      Paulo Gomez
    • Yenovk Lazian
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 3, 2003
        Kar sioro Gomez,

        Kordiala danko pro vua senduro, ma ne semblas ke la dissendo-listo qua nomesas per-ESPERANTO-literaturo fitas por diskutar linguala problemi. Irez ad Ido-skolo, Idostab, Idolo ed altri.

        Kun extrema sinsereso,
        Yenovk Lazian

        /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

      • Donald J. HARLOW
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 3, 2003
          Je 05.26 atm 2003.06.03 -0700, vi skribis
          >Kar sioro Gomez,
          >
          >Kordiala danko pro vua senduro, ma ne semblas ke la dissendo-listo qua
          >nomesas per-ESPERANTO-literaturo fitas por diskutar linguala problemi.
          >Irez ad Ido-skolo, Idostab, Idolo ed altri.
          >
          >Kun extrema sinsereso,
          >Yenovk Lazian

          Estimata Yenovk --

          Mi respondas al vi por certigi, ke s-ro Gomez vidu vian mesagxon. Li
          komence indikis en siaj donitajxoj, en almenaux kelkaj el la grupoj kiujn
          li spamis, ke li ne volas vidi respondajn mesagxojn, sed estas arangxite,
          ke almenaux en kelkaj el tiuj grupoj li ekde nun vidos cxion.

          Amike salutas vin

          -- Don HARLOW

          Pasis longa voj'
          Iri æi tien de for;