Re: [pepysdiary] ODNB - Child, Sir Josiah, first baronet (bap. 1631, d. 1699)

    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 27, 2011
      Many thanks for this MR. A fascinating read, but Child is someone I would not have wanted to know nor have financial dealings with. Reminds me rather of some of the ruthless Paxtons (from their published correspondence). I was interested to note that Child's stepdaughter Cassandra Willoughby married into the Chandos family. It was from that connection that Jane Austen's mother, Cassandra, came. I assume, therefore that the unusual name came into the family with Child's stepdaughter and has now become known worldwide because of Jane Austen. Jane's mother was born in 1739.

      Thanks again!

      On 27 February 2011 15:24, robinsonmf <robinsonrepepys@...> wrote:

      Child, Sir Josiah, first baronet (bap. 1631, d. 1699), economic writer and merchant, was baptized at St Bartholomew-by-the-Exchange, London, on 27 February 1631, the second son of Richard Child (buried 1638 at Hackney), a merchant of Fleet Street, and his wife, Elizabeth Roycroft of Weston Wick, Shropshire. He was not related either to Sir John Child, president of Surat and governor of Bombay, or to the banker Sir Francis Child.

      Continued, for one week only:-
      http://www.oxforddnb.com/public/lotw/

      Diary:
      http://www.pepysdiary.com/p/9047.php

      --
      Kind regards,

      Susan Thomas

      Emphron Informatics
      Level 3 88 Jephson St
      TOOWONG
      QLD 4066

      Office: +61 7 3503 1765
      Mobile: 0411 094 688
      Fax: +61 7 3318 7677

      Legal Notice: This electronic mail and its attachments are intended solely for the person(s) to whom they are addressed and contain information, which is confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure, except for the purpose for which they are intended. Dissemination, distribution, or reproduction by anyone other than the intended recipients is prohibited and may be illegal. If you are not an intended recipient, please immediately inform the sender and return the electronic mail and its attachments and destroy any copies, which may be in your possession. By reading this communication, the recipient(s) have accepted that it is confidential and NOT subject to any form of public disclosure. Nothing in this communication is intended to operate as an electronic signature under applicable law. The company screens electronic mails for viruses but does not warrant that this electronic mail is free of any viruses. The company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this electronic mail.

      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 5, 2011
        I just posted the relevant clip of the show on YouTube, and put it on 'Site News': http://www.pepysdiary.com/about/archive/2011/03/05/12279.php

        Here's the direct link to YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwWkafHY-LU

        The segment features a prominent view of Jeannine Kerwin's byline too!

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 5, 2011
          Sweet.  "Phil Gyford" needs some love too.

          On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 10:29 AM, Phil Gyford <lists@...> wrote:
          I just posted the relevant clip of the show on YouTube, and put it on 'Site News': http://www.pepysdiary.com/about/archive/2011/03/05/12279.php

          Here's the direct link to YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwWkafHY-LU

          The segment features a prominent view of Jeannine Kerwin's byline too!

          On 27 Feb, 2011, at 16:02, Richard Histon wrote:

          > No sure if it has been mentioned, but the website was featured this
          > weekend on the BBC's weekly Click TV program, usually on the 24 hour BBC
          > news channel. This covers IT aimed at the home user. At the end of the
          > short program they have a Web section and the site was enthusiastically
          > mentioned and shown.
          >
          > It will I think be available on the Iplayer.
          >
          > Richard

          <*> Your email settings:
             Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
             (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
             pepysdiary-digest@yahoogroups.com
             pepysdiary-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

             http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 5, 2011
            Yay!

            Jeannine, I figure you have 14 minutes, 56 seconds of fame left...  ;-)

            -Todd

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 5, 2011
              Thanks for this! Good fun!

              A.S.