ODNB - Child, Sir Josiah, first baronet (bap. 1631, d. 1699)

  • robinsonmf
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 26, 2011
      Child, Sir Josiah, first baronet (bap. 1631, d. 1699), economic writer and merchant, was baptized at St Bartholomew-by-the-Exchange, London, on 27 February 1631, the second son of Richard Child (buried 1638 at Hackney), a merchant of Fleet Street, and his wife, Elizabeth Roycroft of Weston Wick, Shropshire. He was not related either to Sir John Child, president of Surat and governor of Bombay, or to the banker Sir Francis Child.

      Continued, for one week only:-
      http://www.oxforddnb.com/public/lotw/

      Diary:
      http://www.pepysdiary.com/p/9047.php
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 27, 2011
        Michael,

        Very much on topic.  Again!

        Did you or Phil submit a request to oxforddnb.com for a PepysDiary Person Per Week?!

        ;-)

        Terry

        On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 11:24 PM, robinsonmf <robinsonrepepys@...> wrote:
        Child, Sir Josiah, first baronet (bap. 1631, d. 1699), economic writer and merchant, was baptized at St Bartholomew-by-the-Exchange, London, on 27 February 1631, the second son of Richard Child (buried 1638 at Hackney), a merchant of Fleet Street, and his wife, Elizabeth Roycroft of Weston Wick, Shropshire. He was not related either to Sir John Child, president of Surat and governor of Bombay, or to the banker Sir Francis Child.

        Continued, for one week only:-
        http://www.oxforddnb.com/public/lotw/

        Diary:
        http://www.pepysdiary.com/p/9047.php

        <*> Your email settings:
           Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
           (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
           pepysdiary-digest@yahoogroups.com
           pepysdiary-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

           http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Richard Histon
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 27, 2011
          No sure if it has been mentioned, but the website was featured this
          weekend on the BBC's weekly Click TV program, usually on the 24 hour BBC
          news channel. This covers IT aimed at the home user. At the end of the
          short program they have a Web section and the site was enthusiastically
          mentioned and shown.

          It will I think be available on the Iplayer.

          Richard
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 27, 2011
            Thanks for that Richard - I wasn't aware of that. Those of you in the UK can see it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00z8dnj/Click_26_02_2011/

            Skip ahead to just before the 23 minute mark. It's very brief, but makes the website look as exciting as a website of text can be! The show's repeated tomorrow, so I'll try and record it and cut that bit out in case anyone else wants to see it.

            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 27, 2011
              Many thanks for this MR. A fascinating read, but Child is someone I would not have wanted to know nor have financial dealings with. Reminds me rather of some of the ruthless Paxtons (from their published correspondence). I was interested to note that Child's stepdaughter Cassandra Willoughby married into the Chandos family. It was from that connection that Jane Austen's mother, Cassandra, came. I assume, therefore that the unusual name came into the family with Child's stepdaughter and has now become known worldwide because of Jane Austen. Jane's mother was born in 1739.

              Thanks again!

              --
              Kind regards,

              Susan Thomas

              Emphron Informatics
              Level 3 88 Jephson St
              TOOWONG
              QLD 4066

              Office: +61 7 3503 1765
              Mobile: 0411 094 688
              Fax: +61 7 3318 7677

              Legal Notice: This electronic mail and its attachments are intended solely for the person(s) to whom they are addressed and contain information, which is confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure, except for the purpose for which they are intended. Dissemination, distribution, or reproduction by anyone other than the intended recipients is prohibited and may be illegal. If you are not an intended recipient, please immediately inform the sender and return the electronic mail and its attachments and destroy any copies, which may be in your possession. By reading this communication, the recipient(s) have accepted that it is confidential and NOT subject to any form of public disclosure. Nothing in this communication is intended to operate as an electronic signature under applicable law. The company screens electronic mails for viruses but does not warrant that this electronic mail is free of any viruses. The company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this electronic mail.

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 5, 2011
                I just posted the relevant clip of the show on YouTube, and put it on 'Site News': http://www.pepysdiary.com/about/archive/2011/03/05/12279.php

                Here's the direct link to YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwWkafHY-LU

                The segment features a prominent view of Jeannine Kerwin's byline too!

                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 5, 2011
                  Sweet.  "Phil Gyford" needs some love too.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 5, 2011
                    Yay!

                    Jeannine, I figure you have 14 minutes, 56 seconds of fame left...  ;-)

                    -Todd

                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 5, 2011
                      Thanks for this! Good fun!

                      A.S.