The Experiment

  • Mangrove Mike
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 2, 2011
      I was wondering if there are drawings of any of Petty's double-hulled ships still in existence.
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 2, 2011
        "William Petty designed several twin-hulled ships between 1662 and 1684, Europe's first catamarans.

        "Initially they seemed promising. They were able to sail closer to the wind and in shallower waters than conventional ships. However sailors were reluctant to trust such an unusual vessel, and after two of his prototypes sank, Petty gave up. This model was made by Stephen Worlidge, a goldsmith at Portsmouth, and was given to the Society by John Houghton in 1685."

        http://royalsociety.org/exhibitions/350years/twin-hulled-ship/

        On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 7:38 PM, Mangrove Mike <jm387407@...> wrote:
        I was wondering if there are drawings of any of Petty's double-hulled ships still in existence.

        <*> Your email settings:
           Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
           (Yahoo! ID required)