Pepys and his opinions on the relation of words and music

  • jameslarochemoore
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 21, 2011
      Hey everyone,

      I'm currently writing an undergraduate dissertation on the relation of poetry and music in the Interregnum/Restoration and how it had progressed from the humanistic sixteenth-century viewpoint that emphasized the interdependence of the two art-forms. So, when I read the 'music' section to the L&M edition of Pepys, I was interested to find that it seemed to suggest that Pepys was quite vocal in his opinions about how words should be set to music, and that this was a topic he often brought up. However, when I searched in the L&M index, they only gave a few examples (vol.8:54-55;64-65;154). I was wondering if any of you knew of where I could find any more examples, or if you had any thoughts on this issue yourselves?

      All the best,

      James