Site News: Talking about Pepys’ on stage an d on radio

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 15, 2010
      http://www.pepysdiary.com/about/archive/2010/12/15/11954.php

      Talking about Pepys’ on stage and on radio

      On Friday 18th February 2011 I’m going to be talking about Samuel Pepys and this website at The Story <http://thestory.org.uk/>, a one-day conference in London about stories and storytelling. I haven’t spoken much in public about the site, so I’m looking forward to it, despite being in awe of some of the other speakers.

      I’ll probably look at things like: What it’s like to tell and experience a story that takes place over such a long period of time; Why Sam’s diary is still interesting today; Fleshing out a narrative with extra information; How readers of the story can make it a more interesting and enjoyable experience for each other; Different formats for a story of this scale (like Twitter). If you have any thoughts on this aspect of the diary, do let me know. I don’t know if the audio or video will be online after the event, but if so I’ll post it up here.

      Also, and more imminently, I’m going to be reading out some Christmas-related snippets of Sam’s diary during the first broadcast of Radio Roundabout <http://www.radioroundabout.com/>. The show will be streaming online from 3-5pm GMT on Friday 17th December 2010. I’m not sure it’ll be worth tuning in only to hear these brief excerpts of the diary but hopefully the whole show will be fun.