Shakespeare in the original pronunciation

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 25, 2010
      I guess that, if accurate, this is close to the kind of pronunciation Pepys may have found usual:

      KU Theatre - Students perform Shakespeare in original pronunciation
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWe1b9mjjkM

    • John Mertz
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 25, 2010
        LOL. I don't know. They still sounded like they were from Kansas to me.

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 27, 2010
          Very strange! Where did they get this combination of flat Midlands vowels and a rolling West Country burr? Anyway, Shakespeare may have come from the Midlands, but he worked in London, with London actors. They probably sounded like people from rural Kent do now.

          On 26 October 2010 04:55, John Mertz <jm387407@...> wrote:

          LOL. I don't know. They still sounded like they were from Kansas to me.

          I guess that, if accurate, this is close to the kind of pronunciation Pepys may have found usual:

          KU Theatre - Students perform Shakespeare in original pronunciation
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWe1b9mjjkM

          Kind regards,

          Susan Thomas

          Emphron Informatics
          Level 3 88 Jephson St
          TOOWONG
          QLD 4066

          Office: +61 7 3503 1765
          Mobile: 0411 094 688
          Fax: +61 7 3318 7677

          Legal Notice: This electronic mail and its attachments are intended solely for the person(s) to whom they are addressed and contain information, which is confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure, except for the purpose for which they are intended. Dissemination, distribution, or reproduction by anyone other than the intended recipients is prohibited and may be illegal. If you are not an intended recipient, please immediately inform the sender and return the electronic mail and its attachments and destroy any copies, which may be in your possession. By reading this communication, the recipient(s) have accepted that it is confidential and NOT subject to any form of public disclosure. Nothing in this communication is intended to operate as an electronic signature under applicable law. The company screens electronic mails for viruses but does not warrant that this electronic mail is free of any viruses. The company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this electronic mail.

        • Hendersondonald
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 28, 2010
            presumably the OP rendition is trying to demonstrate pronunciation before the great vowel shift, or at least as the shift was happening, so it's unlikely the accent in modern Kent would be very close to the accents used in Shakespeare's time.