Site News: Keith Wright / Bradford

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 15, 2010
      http://www.pepysdiary.com/about/archive/2010/10/15/11733.php

      Keith Wright / Bradford

      I’m sorry to be writing this, but Keith Wright, who posted annotations on this site under the name Bradford, passed away unexpectedly on 13th October. Keith had been active here since the start of the diary and we’ll greatly miss his contributions.

      Sadly, Keith suffered a complication of his blood pressure medicine on Wednesday which resulted in a cardiac arrest and the doctors were unable to revive him. I'm sure our thoughts are with his friends and family.

      Although I exchanged a few nice emails with Keith over the years I regretfully know little about him other than that he often proof-read books.

      If you have any memories of Keith from the past few years, please do share them with us below.

    • britinme
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 15, 2010
        Keith and I corresponded regularly over the last eight years, and I always enjoyed reading his witty and interesting emails. He wrote rather good poetry, and partly in consequence of his proofreading job with the Library of America (a job he cajoled himself into by sheer persistence in sending them details of errors he found in their volumes) he was extremely widely read. He had also been partly responsible for an edition of the letters of May Sarton. Over the years, he sent me magazine articles and music, and I sent him music in return and shared my poetry with him.

        I only have one poem of his handy on my computer, but I will share it with everybody, especially in view of its subject matter, which is sadly ironic in view of his early death.

        Jenny

        "Anyhow"

        a god-damned villanelle

        Where are the laughs laughed last night now?
        The jokes re-hoked till break of day?
        How long does life last, anyhow?

        For dawn brings back, with worried brow,
        some sally not born yesterday:
        where are the laughs laughed last spring now?

        ---the jibe that X would disavow,
        and say you never heard him say?
        How long does life last, anyhow?

        The pranks once pulled---O holy cow---
        humiliations, grave or gay:
        where are the laughs laughed last year now?

        Go further back: you wince, and how,
        at loves outworn, lust gone astray---
        how long does life last, anyhow?

        It all gets jumbled up, somehow:
        memory's one long auto-da-fé.
        Where are the laughs laughed last, right now?
        How long does life last, anyhow?
      • Sulamith Potter
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 15, 2010
          Oh, my, thank you Jenny, for sending this wonderful poem, I am dazzled!
          Sulie
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 22, 2010
            I just updated the post to link to this PDF, which Jeannine passed on: http://www.pepysdiary.com/about/archive/files/2010/10/22/KeithWright.pdf It's an article about Keith from the Library of America newsletter.

            Phil