RE: [pepysdiary] Internet phasing out printed Oxford Dictionary

  • Jenny Doughty
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 31, 2010
      A friend of mine is a senior editor at the OED so I forwarded this to him. His response: "News to me: at least I don't think there's been any decision or change of policy. We are so far from "completion" that the question of printing just doesn't arise at the moment."

      Jenny

      Internet phasing out printed Oxford Dictionary

      By SYLVIA HUI, Associated Press Writer Sylvia Hui, Associated Press Writer–1 hr 7 mins ago

      LONDON – It's been in print for over a century, but in future the Oxford English Dictionary — the authoritative guide to the English language — may only be available online.

      Oxford University Press, the publisher, said Sunday that burgeoning demand for the dictionary's online version has far outpaced demand for the printed versions.

      By the time the lexicographers behind the dictionary finish revising and updating the latest edition — a gargantuan task that will take many more years — publishers are doubtful there will still be a market for the printed form.

      The online Oxford English Dictionary now gets 2 million hits a month from subscribers. The current printed edition — a hefty 20-volume, 750 pound ($1,165) set published in 1989 — has sold about 30,000 sets in total.

      "At present we are experiencing increasing demand for the online product," a statement from the publisher said. "However, a print version will certainly be considered if there is sufficient demand at the time of publication."

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 31, 2010
        Looks like it's just an opinion held by the Oxford University Press's chief executive, rather than a definitive statement from the OED:

        ::
        “The print dictionary market is just disappearing, it is falling away by tens of per cent a year,” Nigel Portwood, the chief executive of OUP, told the Sunday Times. Asked if he thought the third edition would be printed, he said: “I don’t think so.”
        ::

        On 31 Aug, 2010, at 15:34, Jenny Doughty wrote:

[...]

        tel: +44 (0)7866 436847
        aim: philgyford