Pepys mentioned

  • Richard Histon
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 30, 2010
      Here is an interesting thought. Having been collecting books by/on Pepys
      for many years (around 50 I think - books not years!), I have widened my
      reading to his century and the events surrounding those fascinating times.

      Whenever I am in a bookshop now, I tend to look at any new book
      concerning those times, and immediately go to the back and see if Samuel
      is indexed.

      So has anyone ever produced a list of substantial "mentions" of Mr Pepys"?

      Sometimes of course the mention is one sentence, and often very short.
      But sometimes not just a sentence or two from the diary, a more
      substantial amount with interest.

      Of course it isn't just books, I have a few magazines of various types
      mentioning our man.

      Perhaps if there was such a list it would need to list the more
      substantial mentions. Just mentioning "this was one of the haunts of
      Samuel Pepys wouldn't count.

      Just a thought!

      Is anyone interested in swapping lists of Pepys books? I'm currently
      cataloguing all my books using BookCat http://www.fnprg.com/bookcat/
      I have no connection with the author, just that the program is great, as
      is his other cataloguing programs.

      Richard
    • Jenny Doughty
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 31, 2010
        A friend of mine is a senior editor at the OED so I forwarded this to him. His response: "News to me: at least I don't think there's been any decision or change of policy. We are so far from "completion" that the question of printing just doesn't arise at the moment."

        Jenny

        Internet phasing out printed Oxford Dictionary

        By SYLVIA HUI, Associated Press Writer Sylvia Hui, Associated Press Writer–1 hr 7 mins ago

        LONDON – It's been in print for over a century, but in future the Oxford English Dictionary — the authoritative guide to the English language — may only be available online.

        Oxford University Press, the publisher, said Sunday that burgeoning demand for the dictionary's online version has far outpaced demand for the printed versions.

        By the time the lexicographers behind the dictionary finish revising and updating the latest edition — a gargantuan task that will take many more years — publishers are doubtful there will still be a market for the printed form.

        The online Oxford English Dictionary now gets 2 million hits a month from subscribers. The current printed edition — a hefty 20-volume, 750 pound ($1,165) set published in 1989 — has sold about 30,000 sets in total.

        "At present we are experiencing increasing demand for the online product," a statement from the publisher said. "However, a print version will certainly be considered if there is sufficient demand at the time of publication."

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 31, 2010
          Looks like it's just an opinion held by the Oxford University Press's chief executive, rather than a definitive statement from the OED:

          ::
          “The print dictionary market is just disappearing, it is falling away by tens of per cent a year,” Nigel Portwood, the chief executive of OUP, told the Sunday Times. Asked if he thought the third edition would be printed, he said: “I don’t think so.”
          ::

          On 31 Aug, 2010, at 15:34, Jenny Doughty wrote:

[...]

          tel: +44 (0)7866 436847
          aim: philgyford