Re: [pepysdiary] Interesting book mentioning Sam

  • Adrian Driscoll
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 9, 2010
      Hi Terry

      Thank you.

      I hope that you would like it when you get one of the iOS devices - the version of the app waiting in line for Apple to approve this very moment will work v. nicely (if I say so myself) on the iPad as well as the iPhone and iPod Touch.

      Adrian
      Aimer Media

      On 8 Jun 2010, at 22:22, Terry Foreman wrote:

      Adrian,

      Nice app (I presume:  I have a dumb-phone only.)

      Terry Foreman

      At 03:47 PM 6/8/2010 +0100, you wrote:

      Newton and the Royal Mint play a significant role in the final book in Neal Stephenson's Baroque Trilogy, The System of the World. Pepys himself of course appears throughout the trilogy.

      Adrian

      Aimer Media
      http://www.aimermedia.com/pepysdiary/

      On 8 Jun 2010, at 14:52, britinme wrote:

      I thought other Pepysians might enjoy a non-fiction book I'm currently reading called "Newton and the Counterfeiter: the unknown detective career of the world's greatest scientist" by Thomas Levenson. I knew about Newton's scientific career of course but didn't know anything about his amazing achievements as Warden of the Royal Mint, during which his work against counterfeiters and the corruption of the currency can almost be said to have rescued the country from an economic morass. Sam makes a few appearances, as a correspondent of Newton's and as a visitor to the Royal Mint.

      Jenny

      Adrian Driscoll
      adriandriscoll@...

      Adrian Driscoll

      Email: adrian.driscoll@...
      Mobile +44 7515 566 082
      Twitter: @caxtonian
      Skype: adrianpdriscoll
      Web: http://www.caxtonia.com

    • Richard Histon
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 18, 2010
        Only caught this one by pure chance, it was discussed on the Radio 3
        Early Music Show ...

        http://www.bbc.co.uk/proms/2010/whatson/0308.shtml

        Rh