Re: [pepysdiary] Interesting book mentioning Sam

  • Adrian Driscoll
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 8, 2010
      Her book, Lunar Men, was great so might put that on my birthday list...

      http://www.jennyuglow.com/?page=lunar

      Adrian

      Aimer Media
      http://www.aimermedia.com/pepys

      On 8 Jun 2010, at 16:04, Phil Gyford wrote:

      While we're talking about books, I read this review the other day, about 'A Gambling Man: Charles II and the Restoration' by Jenny Uglow:

      http://www.lrb.co.uk/v32/n10/mark-kishlansky/sex-sex-sex

      Might be of interest to readers of Pepys.

      On 8 Jun, 2010, at 15:47, Adrian Driscoll wrote:

      Newton and the Royal Mint play a significant role in the final book in Neal Stephenson's Baroque Trilogy, The System of the World. Pepys himself of course appears throughout the trilogy.

      Adrian

      Aimer Media
      http://www.aimermedia.com/pepysdiary/

      On 8 Jun 2010, at 14:52, britinme wrote:

      I thought other Pepysians might enjoy a non-fiction book I'm currently reading called "Newton and the Counterfeiter: the unknown detective career of the world's greatest scientist" by Thomas Levenson. I knew about Newton's scientific career of course but didn't know anything about his amazing achievements as Warden of the Royal Mint, during which his work against counterfeiters and the corruption of the currency can almost be said to have rescued the country from an economic morass. Sam makes a few appearances, as a correspondent of Newton's and as a visitor to the Royal Mint.

      Jenny

      Adrian Driscoll
      adriandriscoll@...

      Adrian Driscoll

      Email: adrian.driscoll@...
      Mobile +44 7515 566 082
      Twitter: @caxtonian
      Skype: adrianpdriscoll
      Web: http://www.caxtonia.com

      Adrian Driscoll
      adriandriscoll@...

      Adrian Driscoll

      Email: adrian.driscoll@...
      Mobile +44 7515 566 082
      Twitter: @caxtonian
      Skype: adrianpdriscoll
      Web: http://www.caxtonia.com

        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 9, 2010
          Hi Terry

          Thank you.

          I hope that you would like it when you get one of the iOS devices - the version of the app waiting in line for Apple to approve this very moment will work v. nicely (if I say so myself) on the iPad as well as the iPhone and iPod Touch.

          Adrian
          Aimer Media

          On 8 Jun 2010, at 22:22, Terry Foreman wrote:

[...]

        • Richard Histon
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 18, 2010
            Only caught this one by pure chance, it was discussed on the Radio 3
            Early Music Show ...

            http://www.bbc.co.uk/proms/2010/whatson/0308.shtml

            Rh