Re: [pepysdiary] Interesting book mentioning Sam

    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 8 8:04 AM
      While we're talking about books, I read this review the other day, about 'A Gambling Man: Charles II and the Restoration' by Jenny Uglow:

      Might be of interest to readers of Pepys.

      On 8 Jun, 2010, at 15:47, Adrian Driscoll wrote:

      Newton and the Royal Mint play a significant role in the final book in Neal Stephenson's Baroque Trilogy, The System of the World. Pepys himself of course appears throughout the trilogy.

      Adrian

      Aimer Media

      On 8 Jun 2010, at 14:52, britinme wrote:

      I thought other Pepysians might enjoy a non-fiction book I'm currently reading called "Newton and the Counterfeiter: the unknown detective career of the world's greatest scientist" by Thomas Levenson. I knew about Newton's scientific career of course but didn't know anything about his amazing achievements as Warden of the Royal Mint, during which his work against counterfeiters and the corruption of the currency can almost be said to have rescued the country from an economic morass. Sam makes a few appearances, as a correspondent of Newton's and as a visitor to the Royal Mint.

      Jenny

      Adrian Driscoll

      Adrian Driscoll

      Email: adrian.driscoll@...
      Mobile +44 7515 566 082
      Twitter: @caxtonian
      Skype: adrianpdriscoll
      Web: http://www.caxtonia.com

    • Adrian Driscoll
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 8 8:10 AM
        Her book, Lunar Men, was great so might put that on my birthday list...

        http://www.jennyuglow.com/?page=lunar

        Adrian

        Aimer Media
        http://www.aimermedia.com/pepys

        http://www.lrb.co.uk/v32/n10/mark-kishlansky/sex-sex-sex

        http://www.aimermedia.com/pepysdiary/

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 9 1:28 AM
            Hi Terry

            Thank you.

            I hope that you would like it when you get one of the iOS devices - the version of the app waiting in line for Apple to approve this very moment will work v. nicely (if I say so myself) on the iPad as well as the iPhone and iPod Touch.

            Adrian
            Aimer Media

            On 8 Jun 2010, at 22:22, Terry Foreman wrote:

[...]

          • Richard Histon
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 18, 2010
              Only caught this one by pure chance, it was discussed on the Radio 3
              Early Music Show ...

              http://www.bbc.co.uk/proms/2010/whatson/0308.shtml

              Rh