Interesting book mentioning Sam

  • britinme
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 8, 2010
      I thought other Pepysians might enjoy a non-fiction book I'm currently reading called "Newton and the Counterfeiter: the unknown detective career of the world's greatest scientist" by Thomas Levenson. I knew about Newton's scientific career of course but didn't know anything about his amazing achievements as Warden of the Royal Mint, during which his work against counterfeiters and the corruption of the currency can almost be said to have rescued the country from an economic morass. Sam makes a few appearances, as a correspondent of Newton's and as a visitor to the Royal Mint.

      Jenny
    • Adrian Driscoll
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 8, 2010
        Newton and the Royal Mint play a significant role in the final book in Neal Stephenson's Baroque Trilogy, The System of the World. Pepys himself of course appears throughout the trilogy.

        Adrian

        Aimer Media

        On 8 Jun 2010, at 14:52, britinme wrote:

        I thought other Pepysians might enjoy a non-fiction book I'm currently reading called "Newton and the Counterfeiter: the unknown detective career of the world's greatest scientist" by Thomas Levenson. I knew about Newton's scientific career of course but didn't know anything about his amazing achievements as Warden of the Royal Mint, during which his work against counterfeiters and the corruption of the currency can almost be said to have rescued the country from an economic morass. Sam makes a few appearances, as a correspondent of Newton's and as a visitor to the Royal Mint.

        Jenny

        Adrian Driscoll

        Adrian Driscoll

        Email: adrian.driscoll@...
        Mobile +44 7515 566 082
        Twitter: @caxtonian
        Skype: adrianpdriscoll
        Web: http://www.caxtonia.com

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 8, 2010
            Her book, Lunar Men, was great so might put that on my birthday list...

            http://www.jennyuglow.com/?page=lunar

            Adrian

            Aimer Media
            http://www.aimermedia.com/pepys

            http://www.lrb.co.uk/v32/n10/mark-kishlansky/sex-sex-sex

            http://www.aimermedia.com/pepysdiary/

              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 9, 2010
                Hi Terry

                Thank you.

                I hope that you would like it when you get one of the iOS devices - the version of the app waiting in line for Apple to approve this very moment will work v. nicely (if I say so myself) on the iPad as well as the iPhone and iPod Touch.

                Adrian
                Aimer Media

                On 8 Jun 2010, at 22:22, Terry Foreman wrote:

[...]

              • Richard Histon
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 18, 2010
                  Only caught this one by pure chance, it was discussed on the Radio 3
                  Early Music Show ...

                  http://www.bbc.co.uk/proms/2010/whatson/0308.shtml

                  Rh