Re: [pepysdiary] The best abridged version of the diary?

  • Sulamith Potter
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 21, 2010
      I started off reading Everybody's Pepys, abridged and edited by O.F.
      Morshead, and charmingly illustrated by Ernest Shepard, which I got at a
      library sale. (It was first published in 1926, reissued in 1949.) I think it
      is an excellent way to begin. There are reasonably priced copies available
      on ABE books and at Amazon.
      Sulie

      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 21, 2010
        My first introduction to Pepys was A Shorter Pepys ed. by Tickner, in an edition with illustrations by E.H. Shepherd (which are delightful in their own right).

        On 21 February 2010 20:17, Phil Gyford <lists@...> wrote:

        Hi,

        Every so often someone emails me to ask what version of the diary they should read - searching on Amazon or similar is a bit bewildering, with so many versions.

        I suggest L&M if they want to read the whole thing, but I'm stumped when it comes to recommending a single volume of "highlights". Has anyone read one, or read about one that I should recommend? Not everyone wants to read the entire thing!

        Many thanks,

        Kind regards,

        Susan Thomas

        Emphron Informatics
        Level 3 88 Jephson St
        TOOWONG
        QLD 4066

        Office: +61 7 3503 1765
        Mobile: 0411 094 688
        Fax: +61 7 3318 7677

        Legal Notice: This electronic mail and its attachments are intended solely for the person(s) to whom they are addressed and contain information, which is confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure, except for the purpose for which they are intended. Dissemination, distribution, or reproduction by anyone other than the intended recipients is prohibited and may be illegal. If you are not an intended recipient, please immediately inform the sender and return the electronic mail and its attachments and destroy any copies, which may be in your possession. By reading this communication, the recipient(s) have accepted that it is confidential and NOT subject to any form of public disclosure. Nothing in this communication is intended to operate as an electronic signature under applicable law. Emphron screens electronic mails for viruses but does not warrant that this electronic mail is free of any viruses. Emphron accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this electronic mail.

      • John Eure
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 21, 2010
          Phil:
           Outside of anthology pieces, I first encountered the Diary in Robert Latham's "The Shorter Pepys" ((University of California Press, 1985), a generous selection Latham culled from the revised complete version he prepared with William Matthews.  It is a 1096-page one-volume hardback that cost $28.50 US when purchased 25 years ago.  I have not checked to see whether anyone has issued it as a paperback.

          To achieve this compression, Latham eliminated much of the business and political reporting, the details of daily life, and the general gossip Sam preserves.  Latham also cut out many of the details of Sam's unsavory behavior, but left enough so the reader clearly understands Sam's proclivities.  The Deb Willett fiasco is generously included, as are the plague and great fire entries.  The edited text moves along smartly, so it is easy to digest.  It is a very solid and entertaining read and probably contains as much material as most semi-serious readers would want  - but it necessarily pales before the full text, with annotations, that you are so wonderfully making available to us all.

          Hope this helps.

          And thank you, thank you, thank you for this wonderful experience.

          John Eure
          Roanoke, Virginia

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 22, 2010
            Thanks for that John, and to the others who replied.

            The woman who emailed me with this question most recently was enquiring on behalf of a book group who want to read (some of) the diary, so the full text is too much of an undertaking!

            Any further suggestions, or confirmations of existing recommendations, much appreciated.

            Thanks,
            Phil

[...]

          • naomikwebb
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 22, 2010
              An even shorter abridgement by Robert Latham which I've enjoyed reading is 'The Illustrated Pepys' at 352 pages.

              Naomi