BBC4 Pepys' Diary

  • Richard Histon
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 13, 2010
      The final of the three part BBC4 diary programmes is on next Monday. It
      has in my opinion suffered from the latest BBC fad of getting what they
      call "celebrities" to present every program possible. Presumably to
      increase ratings. For example next Monday's programme has a bit about
      Peps, presented by an English politician called Edwina Curry. UK readers
      will know what to expect. This is the BBC who now get "celebrities" to
      present the Proms instead of using the wealth of experience of music
      presenters from Radio 3.

      But my point in posting is that just as I was muttering "They're so
      lightweight ... why not a more serious look at the best diarists..."
      along comes this. Complete with Claire Tomalin.

      SPECIAL INTEREST: Mr Pepys's Diary
      On: BBC 4 (9)
      Date: Monday 18th January 2010 (starting in 5 days)
      Time: 22:00 to 23:00 (1 hour long)

      Clarissa Dickson Wright, Tony Benn and Sir Richard Eyre join Claire
      Tomalin and other Pepys devotees to bring you the sensuous and
      extraordinary world of his diaries. Gourmet tastes mingle with
      adulterous liaisons, naval bureaucracy and the Great Fire, as Pepys
      records his detailed observations of London society. The documentary
      explores how this first great English diary continues to chime with
      modern readers' lives.
      (Stereo, Repeat, Widescreen, Subtitles)
      Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from
      http://www.getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=165531

      Copyright (c) GipsyMedia Limited.

      And while I'm here, there is the start of a four part history series on
      the British Navy, maybe this will have some Pepys in it? Depends which
      way they play it I suppose.

      HISTORY DOCUMENTARY: Empire of the Seas: How the Navy Forged the Modern
      World
      On: BBC 2 North (2)
      Date: Friday 15th January 2010 (starting in 1 day)
      Time: 21:00 to 22:00 (1 hour long)

      Heart of Oak.
      In the first of a four-part series, historian Dan Snow charts the
      defining role the Royal Navy played in Britain's struggle for modernity
      - a grand tale of the twists and turns which thrust the people of the
      British Isles into an indelible relationship with the sea and ships. The
      episode opens with a dramatic retelling of 16th and 17th century
      history, revealing how victory over the Armada transformed impoverished
      England into a seafaring nation.
      (Editor's Choice, Stereo, New Episode, Widescreen, Subtitles, Audio
      Described)
      Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from
      http://www.getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=165531

      Copyright (c) GipsyMedia Limited.

      Richard