Pepys' Diary on iPhone/Touch

  • driscoll.strauss@btinternet.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 13, 2010
      I just want to draw attention to the app on the iTunes Store which contains the Diary that w have just put up. We developed it to test out some ideas about how different texts can be presented digitally. It is an "on this day" app that opens on the day and month from 1660 that matches the matchin day you open it on. You can browse through entries, bookmark and email them to friends.

      If you have iTunes and a suitable device then use this link to find out more

      http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pepys-diary/id348889009?mt=8

      It currently has 1660 included but other years will be added. It has little or no apparatus ourside the wikisource text but if we do well with it then we hope to add more features and textual support.

      Any thoughts or feedback would be most welcome either here or on the comments in the store.

      It cost £0.59p/$0.99

      yours

      Adrian
      Aimer Media
    • Richard Histon
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 13, 2010
        The final of the three part BBC4 diary programmes is on next Monday. It
        has in my opinion suffered from the latest BBC fad of getting what they
        call "celebrities" to present every program possible. Presumably to
        increase ratings. For example next Monday's programme has a bit about
        Peps, presented by an English politician called Edwina Curry. UK readers
        will know what to expect. This is the BBC who now get "celebrities" to
        present the Proms instead of using the wealth of experience of music
        presenters from Radio 3.

        But my point in posting is that just as I was muttering "They're so
        lightweight ... why not a more serious look at the best diarists..."
        along comes this. Complete with Claire Tomalin.

        SPECIAL INTEREST: Mr Pepys's Diary
        On: BBC 4 (9)
        Date: Monday 18th January 2010 (starting in 5 days)
        Time: 22:00 to 23:00 (1 hour long)

        Clarissa Dickson Wright, Tony Benn and Sir Richard Eyre join Claire
        Tomalin and other Pepys devotees to bring you the sensuous and
        extraordinary world of his diaries. Gourmet tastes mingle with
        adulterous liaisons, naval bureaucracy and the Great Fire, as Pepys
        records his detailed observations of London society. The documentary
        explores how this first great English diary continues to chime with
        modern readers' lives.
        (Stereo, Repeat, Widescreen, Subtitles)
        Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from
        http://www.getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=165531

        Copyright (c) GipsyMedia Limited.

        And while I'm here, there is the start of a four part history series on
        the British Navy, maybe this will have some Pepys in it? Depends which
        way they play it I suppose.

        HISTORY DOCUMENTARY: Empire of the Seas: How the Navy Forged the Modern
        World
        On: BBC 2 North (2)
        Date: Friday 15th January 2010 (starting in 1 day)
        Time: 21:00 to 22:00 (1 hour long)

        Heart of Oak.
        In the first of a four-part series, historian Dan Snow charts the
        defining role the Royal Navy played in Britain's struggle for modernity
        - a grand tale of the twists and turns which thrust the people of the
        British Isles into an indelible relationship with the sea and ships. The
        episode opens with a dramatic retelling of 16th and 17th century
        history, revealing how victory over the Armada transformed impoverished
        England into a seafaring nation.
        (Editor's Choice, Stereo, New Episode, Widescreen, Subtitles, Audio
        Described)
        Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from
        http://www.getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=165531

        Copyright (c) GipsyMedia Limited.

        Richard