Victorian man's London diary put online

  • robinsonmf
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 6, 2010
      Victorian man's London diary put online

      The private diary of a Victorian clerk is to be serialised online more than 160 years after it was written. The 19-year-old Londoner Nathaniel Bryceson's diary from 1846 described public hangings and his love life. The diary was bought by Westminster council for £115 in 1974 but had only been available in manuscript at the council's archive. Now its 260 entries have been transcribed and sections will be published online throughout the year. Mr Bryceson, who lived in Richmond Buildings, Soho, also followed the news headlines of the day, including the wedding anniversary of Queen Victoria.

      Continued:
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/london/8442468.stm

      The entries:
      "From 1 January 2010, read of the experiences and innermost thoughts of a remarkable Victorian diarist on the Westminster Archives website.
      The diary of Nathaniel Bryceson, a young wharf clerk in Pimlico, is a rare insight into the lives and loves of a 19 year-old in the early Victorian era. A colourful character, Bryceson takes us through the year 1846, with details of his working life and of his relationship with Ann Fox, his mistress and closest companion."
      http://www.westminster.gov.uk/services/libraries/archives/victorian-clerk/
    • Peter Clarkson
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 6, 2010

        Charles Pooter made flesh!

        To: pepysdiary@yahoogroups.com
        From: robinsonrepepys@...
        Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 12:47:26 +0000
        Subject: [pepysdiary] Victorian man's London diary put online

[...]

        New! Receive and respond to mail from other email accounts from within Hotmail Find out how.
      • robinsonmf
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 6, 2010
          "Why should I not publish my diary? I have often seen reminiscences of people I have never even heard of, and I fail to see — because I do not happen to be a 'Somebody' — why my diary should not be interesting. My only regret is that I did not commence it when I was a youth." Charles Pooter (George Grossmith)

          A daily weblog version of 'The Diary of a Nobody' http://www.diaryofanobody.net/

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 6, 2010
            Here's another historical diary that's just started, this one written during World War II: http://wwar2homefront.blogspot.com/