Another Diary 'on line' Cecil Sharp, 1859 - 1924: years 1915 -18.

  • robinsonmf
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 12, 2009
      Pepys ballad collection is of major significance for texts, Sharp is one major source of vernacular tune survivals:

      " ... Here we offer a new and very important resource -- online access to Cecil Sharp's only surviving personal diaries, [1915 - 18] in which he describes his collecting experiences in the Appalachian Mountains of North America.

      How on earth did this asthmatic, 56 year-old vegetarian survive in the heat and altitudes of North Carolina, Kentucky, Virginia, Tennessee and West Virginia, along with his young assistant, Maud Karpeles? How did he feel when he heard the news of the death of many of the young men of his English Folk Dance Society demonstration team in the trenches? And what did it mean to collect 1,600 tunes from people he considered direct descendants and carriers of British cultural traditions? ..."
      http://library.efdss.org/exhibitions/sharpdiaries/#

      A BBC audio slide show on the diaries: