Re: [pepysdiary] ODNB -- L'Estrange, Sir Roger (1616-1704), author and press censor

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 11, 2009
      Michael,

      Thanks for a very good on-topic read about one who will be Pepys's ally at
      a crucial time.
      http://www.oxforddnb.com/public/lotw/1.html

      Here are a couple of passages that are very pertinent, but the rest is well
      worth it for an overview of the nexus between politics and publishing from
      the late 1630's to the 1680's.

      "During the Popish Plot turmoil, he put himself forward in a series of
      pamphlets as the voice of reason and scepticism. Cautiously at first, and
      then with increasing boldness, he began to question the fabrications of
      Titus Oates and William Bedloe. His The History of the Plot, which appeared
      late in 1679, was not openly disbelieving but drew attention to
      inconsistencies and contradictions in the existing narratives. This line of
      attack was continued in The Free-Born Subject (1679), A Further Discovery
      of the Plot, Discovery upon Discovery, and L'Estrange's Narrative of the
      Plot, and less formally in the two parts of his dialogue Cit and Bumpkin
      (all 1680). His comic gifts were also in evidence in ‘The Committee’, an
      allegorical caricature of the sects published with a verse ‘Explanation’
      (1680). In April 1680 he was made a justice of the peace for Middlesex and
      he received a secret services grant of £100." &c

      [...]

      "Violent in his political battles and often brutal in enforcing his will on
      his enemies, L'Estrange in private life was agreeable company and a bon
      vivant. Even his dealings with errant stationers seem often to have taken
      place in taverns. Pepys described him in 1664 as ‘a man of fine
      conversation I think; but I am sure, most courtly and full of compliment’
      (Pepys, 4.348). To Evelyn, who knew him well, he was ‘a person of excellent
      parts, abating some affectations’ (Evelyn, Diary, 4.439). "

      &c. http://www.oxforddnb.com/public/lotw/1.html

      Terry