ODNB -- L'Estrange, Sir Roger (1616-1704), author and press censor

  • robinsonmf
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 11, 2009
      L'Estrange, Sir Roger (1616-1704), author and press censor, was born on 17 December 1616 at Hunstanton Hall, Norfolk, the third son of Sir Hamon L'Estrange (1583-1654), author and MP, and his wife, Alice L'Estrange (1585-1656), daughter of Richard Stubbe of nearby Sedgeford. His elder brothers were Sir Nicholas L'Estrange, first baronet (1604, 1655), who succeeded to the family estate, and Hamon L'Estrange (1605-1660), theological writer and historian. After three years at Sedgeford School, a year at Westminster School, and two years at Eton College, Roger was admitted on 6 November 1634 to Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge. On 6 February 1637, without having taken a degree, he entered Gray's Inn.

      Continued for one week only ...
      http://www.oxforddnb.com/public/lotw/
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 11, 2009
        Michael,

        Thanks for a very good on-topic read about one who will be Pepys's ally at
        a crucial time.
        http://www.oxforddnb.com/public/lotw/1.html

        Here are a couple of passages that are very pertinent, but the rest is well
        worth it for an overview of the nexus between politics and publishing from
        the late 1630's to the 1680's.

        "During the Popish Plot turmoil, he put himself forward in a series of
        pamphlets as the voice of reason and scepticism. Cautiously at first, and
        then with increasing boldness, he began to question the fabrications of
        Titus Oates and William Bedloe. His The History of the Plot, which appeared
        late in 1679, was not openly disbelieving but drew attention to
        inconsistencies and contradictions in the existing narratives. This line of
        attack was continued in The Free-Born Subject (1679), A Further Discovery
        of the Plot, Discovery upon Discovery, and L'Estrange's Narrative of the
        Plot, and less formally in the two parts of his dialogue Cit and Bumpkin
        (all 1680). His comic gifts were also in evidence in ‘The Committee’, an
        allegorical caricature of the sects published with a verse ‘Explanation’
        (1680). In April 1680 he was made a justice of the peace for Middlesex and
        he received a secret services grant of £100." &c

        [...]

        "Violent in his political battles and often brutal in enforcing his will on
        his enemies, L'Estrange in private life was agreeable company and a bon
        vivant. Even his dealings with errant stationers seem often to have taken
        place in taverns. Pepys described him in 1664 as ‘a man of fine
        conversation I think; but I am sure, most courtly and full of compliment’
        (Pepys, 4.348). To Evelyn, who knew him well, he was ‘a person of excellent
        parts, abating some affectations’ (Evelyn, Diary, 4.439). "

        &c. http://www.oxforddnb.com/public/lotw/1.html

        Terry