Re: [pepysdiary] Admiral Benbow

  • Charles Reiss
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 19 1:04 AM
      Hi Sam

      Sorry to disappoint you but this is almost certainly a spoof. Caryl Brahms co-wrote a whole series of comic histories (No Bed for Bacon; Don't Mr Disraeli; etc) published, I think in the 1930s and 40s.

      They feature some rather fine parodies of which I fear this is one.

      Best wishes
      Charles Reiss

      On 19/08/2009, Sam Willis <sbawillis@...> wrote:

      Hello Everyone.

      I am writing a biography of Admiral Benbow and need a spot of help.

      Admiral John Benbow died in late 1702 and apparently Pepys commented on the death in a 'diary'. This is what he is supposed to have said:

      'Rose with much content and up with Will Hewer to White Hall there to speak with Mr. Wren which I did. And so about noon, going homeward with W. Hewer, he and I went in and saw the great tall woman that is to be seen, who is but twenty-one years old, and I do easily stand under her arms. Received the news of Admiral Benbow's demise and the sentence passed on his cowardly captains. To bed much saddened. Tomorrow is another day.'

      The problem is, that as I understand it, his diary ends in 1669.

      Did he keep another diary in the last years of his life? Has it been published? Does anyone know where this quote came from? - I found it in Benbow was his Name (Brahms, C and Sherrin, N.) - which is a novel based on Benbow's life. It is not inconceivable that the quote has been invented.

      Any help gratefully received.

      Sam Willis
      07941 619095