Re: [pepysdiary] Site News: Portraits added to 'pop ups'

  • Charles Reiss
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 10, 2009
      Portraits great idea, much appreciated. Thanks

      Charles Reiss

      2009/8/8 Phil Gyford <lists@...>
      http://www.pepysdiary.com/about/archive/2009/08/08/10261.php

      I thought it would be useful if the little “pop up” pieces of text
      that appear when you hover over underlined words in the diary could
      also contain pictures. So I’ve been through all the people in the
      Encyclopedia who are also linked to Wikipedia pages, and copied any
      portraits found there.

      246 people from the diary have portraits on their Wikipedia pages, and
      I’ve now added all these to the “pop up” texts. For example, on 4th
      August 1666, you can now easily see what Hinchingbroke, Penn and De
      Ruyter looked like: http://www.pepysdiary.com/archive/1666/08/04/

      I hope this makes it a little easier to picture the scenes Pepys
      described, and also to keep track of who’s who — I find this easier
      with pictures rather than names.

      If you find any copyright free images of people (or other things!)
      that don’t currently have “pop up” pictures, do email me or post a
      comment below.

      <*> Your email settings:
         Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to: