Re: [pepysdiary] Site News: Portraits added to 'pop ups'

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 9, 2009
      Phil,

      Like the many Wikipedia articles you have added to the site

      this is merely prodigious:

      a visual dramatis personae, a very rogues gallery.

      Thanks much,

      Terry Foreman

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 9, 2009
        Awesome, Phil! many thanks!
        A.S.

        Terry Foreman wrote:

        > Phil,
        >
        > Like the many Wikipedia articles you have added to the site
        >
        > this is merely prodigious:
        >
        > a visual dramatis personae, a very rogues gallery.
        >
        > Thanks much,
        >
        > Terry Foreman
        >
        > At 06:56 PM 8/8/2009 +0100, you wrote:
        > >http://www.pepysdiary.com/about/archive/2009/08/08/10261.php
        > <http://www.pepysdiary.com/about/archive/2009/08/08/10261.php>
        > >
        > >I thought it would be useful if the little “pop up” pieces of text
        > >that appear when you hover over underlined words in the diary could
        > >also contain pictures. So I’ve been through all the people in the
        > >Encyclopedia who are also linked to Wikipedia pages, and copied any
        > >portraits found there.
        > >
        > >246 people from the diary have portraits on their Wikipedia pages, and
        > >I’ve now added all these to the “pop up” texts. For example, on 4th
        > >August 1666, you can now easily see what Hinchingbroke, Penn and De
        > >Ruyter looked like: http://www.pepysdiary.com/archive/1666/08/04/
        > <http://www.pepysdiary.com/archive/1666/08/04/>
        > >
        > >I hope this makes it a little easier to picture the scenes Pepys
        > >described, and also to keep track of who’s who — I find this easier
        > >with pictures rather than names.
        > >
        > >If you find any copyright free images of people (or other things!)
        > >that don’t currently have “pop up” pictures, do email me or post a
        > >comment below.
        > >

        > >--
        > >Phil Gyford
        > >http://www.gyford.com/ <http://www.gyford.com/>

        > 08/08/09
        > >06:10:00

      • Charles Reiss
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 10, 2009
          Portraits great idea, much appreciated. Thanks

          Charles Reiss

          2009/8/8 Phil Gyford <lists@...>
[...]

          <*> Your email settings:
             Individual Email | Traditional