Re: help, please, to access information in emailed diary entries

  • Paul Chapin
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 21, 2009

      To Charles/Shawn Elmore –

      Lorenzo Da Ponte was an interesting man indeed.  He was actually a man of the 18th and 19th centuries, not the 17th (1749-1838).  He wrote the librettos for 28 operas, including three of Mozart’s greatest:  The Marriage of Figaro, Don Giovanni, and Cosi Fan Tutte.   He also wrote a libretto for Gluck, and five for Salieri, Mozart’s supposed rival.  In the early 1800s, having lost his patronage in Europe, he move to the young United States, and was a grocer in Philadelphia, a bookstore owner in New York City, a professor of Italian at Columbia, and an opera impresario.  He is buried in Brooklyn, New York. Wikipedia has more at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorenzo_Da_Ponte

      I haven’t read his memoirs, but I expect they would be fascinating.

      Paul Chapin

    • Charles Elmore
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 22, 2009
        I knew he moved to the United States. Some of his family moved to New Orleans and I had a student in Moore Ok that was his great great grandson. In his memoirs, he recounts a meeting with Napoleon, who marched through his town during his conquests in Europe. He alos knew Casanova personally.I would highly recommend this book.