Re: [pepysdiary] help, please, to access information in emailed diary entries

  • Charles Elmore
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 20, 2009
      Thanks Terry.

      --- On Sat, 7/18/09, Terry Foreman <terry.foreman@...> wrote:

      From: Terry Foreman <terry.foreman@...>
      Subject: Re: [pepysdiary] help, please, to access information in emailed diary entries
      To: pepysdiary@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Saturday, July 18, 2009, 7:43 PM

      I wrote about two weeks ago regarding an audition for the part of Samuel Pepys for the Oklahoma City Community Theatre called Carpenter's Square Troupe. Thanks to all who sent information about Pepys' physical appearance. Although I did not get the role of Pepys, I have been cast as Hyde, prime minister to Charles II.
      I have checked out 2-3 biographies on Pepys so that I can do research for the play since the play centers on Pepys and a male actor playing female roles in the English theatre. The actor's name is Kynaston...Does anybody know if this male aactor in female roles was real or fiction?

      Shawn,  Here are some resource leads

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boy_player

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restoration_comedy

      Also, can anyone suggest any books about Charles II's reign,

      See http://www.pepysdiary.com/background/further.php

      and http://www.pepysdiary.com/background/reference.php

      Terry Foreman

      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 20, 2009
        Terry,
        You need to correct Jeffry Hatcher who wrote "Compleat Female Stage Beauty". He lists Hyde as a prime minister in his 50's. BYW: If any in the yahoo want to look up this script, it is available through Dramatists Play Service Inc. The play centers on the theatre groups of London in the 17th century. I am not sure how accurate the playwright is to Pepys or any of the theatrical players in the mid 1600's. The show is a comedy, so I would imagine that the entire piece is fiction presented as fact. The play was made into a movie called "Stage Beauty" with Claire Danes.
        Shawn Elmore