Re: help, please, to access information in emailed diary entries

  • Alan Bedford
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 19, 2009
      Ned Kynaston was a real person - one of the last great men playing female leads in Restoration theater. He is the subject of the (somewhat fictionalized) 2004 film "Stage Beauty". It's available on DVD.

      Pepys commented in the Diary on a couple of occasions of having seen Kynaston on stage, including one play (Ben Jonson's "Epicene, or The Silent Woman" where Kynaston played three roles in that night's production - two female, one male.

      Alan Bedford

      --- In pepysdiary@yahoogroups.com, Charles Elmore <charles_elmore2001@...> wrote:

      > I wrote about two weeks ago regarding an audition for the part of Samuel Pepys for the Oklahoma City Community Theatre called Carpenter's Square Troupe. Thanks to all who sent information about Pepys' physical appearance. Although I did not get the role of Pepys, I have been cast as Hyde, prime minister to Charles II.
      > I have checked out 2-3 biographies on Pepys so that I can do research for the play since the play centers on Pepys and a male actor playing female roles in the English theatre. The actor's name is Kynaston...Does anybody know if this male aactor in female roles was real or fiction? Also, can anyone suggest any books about Charles II's reign, particularly his prime ministers.
      > Shawn Elmore

    • Charles Elmore
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 20, 2009
        Thanks, Jenny for the author referral...I will look her up.
        Shawn Elmore

        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 20, 2009
          Hi Charles,

          I'm afraid this isn't possible using the emails for a variety of
          technical reasons. The best solution might be to click the date title
          at the top of the email (eg, "Thursday 19 July 1666") and open that
          diary entry in your web browser where the quick notes will work as you
          expect.

          Phil

          On 18 Jul, 2009, at 13:18, charlesseris wrote:

          > New arrival at this brilliant site. I fear this question has been
          > asked (and answered) before but I can't find it in search...
          >
          > On the main diary entries, simply placing the cursor over one of the
          > highlighted words or names elicits a brief background note, which is
          > fast and invaluable.
          >
          > I would very much like to do the same on the daily emailed entries
          > but the option doesn't seem to work. Clicking, in either mode, opens
          > a new page which often has much more detail than I want and -
          > crucially - holds up the flow.
          >
          > Am I missing something obvious? Is there a way round this?
          >
          > With thanks
          > Charles

          tel: +44 (0)7866 436847
          aim: philgyford
        • Charles Elmore
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 20, 2009
            How do I get to the blog that records a daily entry from Pepys' diary. I read that this website was awarded best new blog in the recent past.
            Shawn

            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 20, 2009
              Hi Shawn,

              A few people have sent links to pages on the site already, but here's the front page:

              Phil

              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 20, 2009
                Thanks Phil. That's what I'll do.
                Charles

                2009/7/20 Phil Gyford <lists@...>

                Hi Charles,

                I'm afraid this isn't possible using the emails for a variety of
                technical reasons. The best solution might be to click the date title
                at the top of the email (eg, "Thursday 19 July 1666") and open that
                diary entry in your web browser where the quick notes will work as you
                expect.

                Phil

                On 18 Jul, 2009, at 13:18, charlesseris wrote:

                > New arrival at this brilliant site. I fear this question has been
                > asked (and answered) before but I can't find it in search...
                >
                > On the main diary entries, simply placing the cursor over one of the
                > highlighted words or names elicits a brief background note, which is
                > fast and invaluable.
                >
                > I would very much like to do the same on the daily emailed entries
                > but the option doesn't seem to work. Clicking, in either mode, opens
                > a new page which often has much more detail than I want and -
                > crucially - holds up the flow.
                >
                > Am I missing something obvious? Is there a way round this?
                >
                > With thanks
                > Charles

                tel: +44 (0)7866 436847
                aim: philgyford