Re: [pepysdiary] help, please, to access information in emailed diary entries

  • Charles Elmore
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 18 10:45 AM
      I wrote about two weeks ago regarding an audition for the part of Samuel Pepys for the Oklahoma City Community Theatre called Carpenter's Square Troupe. Thanks to all who sent information about Pepys' physical appearance. Although I did not get the role of Pepys, I have been cast as Hyde, prime minister to Charles II.
      I have checked out 2-3 biographies on Pepys so that I can do research for the play since the play centers on Pepys and a male actor playing female roles in the English theatre. The actor's name is Kynaston...Does anybody know if this male aactor in female roles was real or fiction? Also, can anyone suggest any books about Charles II's reign, particularly his prime ministers.
      Shawn Elmore

      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 18 1:08 PM
        Edward Kynaston did exist - see his entry in Wikipedia. Don't know about Chas II prime ministers but there is a great novel about actors and actresses of that period called The Vizard Mask by Diana Norman. Romantic but full of historic detail. Strongly recommend.

        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 18 5:23 PM
          Shawn,

          There were no PM's until decades later.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Minister_of_the_United_Kingdom

          Sir Edward Hyde (Earl of Clarendon) was Lord Chancellor (1658-67)
          http://www.pepysdiary.com/p/804.php

          Congratulations!

          Terry Foreman

          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 18 5:43 PM

            I wrote about two weeks ago regarding an audition for the part of Samuel Pepys for the Oklahoma City Community Theatre called Carpenter's Square Troupe. Thanks to all who sent information about Pepys' physical appearance. Although I did not get the role of Pepys, I have been cast as Hyde, prime minister to Charles II.
            I have checked out 2-3 biographies on Pepys so that I can do research for the play since the play centers on Pepys and a male actor playing female roles in the English theatre. The actor's name is Kynaston...Does anybody know if this male aactor in female roles was real or fiction?

            Shawn,  Here are some resource leads

            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boy_player

            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restoration_comedy

            Also, can anyone suggest any books about Charles II's reign,

            See http://www.pepysdiary.com/background/further.php

            and http://www.pepysdiary.com/background/reference.php

            Terry Foreman

            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 18 7:41 PM
              Yes - Diana Norman has written a couple of books set in this period, and all are very well researched and written.
            • Alan Bedford
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 19 6:21 AM
                Ned Kynaston was a real person - one of the last great men playing female leads in Restoration theater. He is the subject of the (somewhat fictionalized) 2004 film "Stage Beauty". It's available on DVD.

                Pepys commented in the Diary on a couple of occasions of having seen Kynaston on stage, including one play (Ben Jonson's "Epicene, or The Silent Woman" where Kynaston played three roles in that night's production - two female, one male.

                Alan Bedford

                --- In pepysdiary@yahoogroups.com, Charles Elmore <charles_elmore2001@...> wrote:

                > I wrote about two weeks ago regarding an audition for the part of Samuel Pepys for the Oklahoma City Community Theatre called Carpenter's Square Troupe. Thanks to all who sent information about Pepys' physical appearance. Although I did not get the role of Pepys, I have been cast as Hyde, prime minister to Charles II.
                > I have checked out 2-3 biographies on Pepys so that I can do research for the play since the play centers on Pepys and a male actor playing female roles in the English theatre. The actor's name is Kynaston...Does anybody know if this male aactor in female roles was real or fiction? Also, can anyone suggest any books about Charles II's reign, particularly his prime ministers.
                > Shawn Elmore

              • Charles Elmore
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 20 12:43 AM
                  Thanks, Jenny for the author referral...I will look her up.
                  Shawn Elmore

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 20 1:20 AM
                    Hi Charles,

                    I'm afraid this isn't possible using the emails for a variety of
                    technical reasons. The best solution might be to click the date title
                    at the top of the email (eg, "Thursday 19 July 1666") and open that
                    diary entry in your web browser where the quick notes will work as you
                    expect.

                    Phil

                    On 18 Jul, 2009, at 13:18, charlesseris wrote:

                    > New arrival at this brilliant site. I fear this question has been
                    > asked (and answered) before but I can't find it in search...
                    >
                    > On the main diary entries, simply placing the cursor over one of the
                    > highlighted words or names elicits a brief background note, which is
                    > fast and invaluable.
                    >
                    > I would very much like to do the same on the daily emailed entries
                    > but the option doesn't seem to work. Clicking, in either mode, opens
                    > a new page which often has much more detail than I want and -
                    > crucially - holds up the flow.
                    >
                    > Am I missing something obvious? Is there a way round this?
                    >
                    > With thanks
                    > Charles

                    tel: +44 (0)7866 436847
                    aim: philgyford
                  • Charles Elmore
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 20 1:26 AM
                      How do I get to the blog that records a daily entry from Pepys' diary. I read that this website was awarded best new blog in the recent past.
                      Shawn

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 20 1:39 AM
                        Hi Shawn,

                        A few people have sent links to pages on the site already, but here's the front page:

                        Phil

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 20 3:33 AM
                          Thanks Phil. That's what I'll do.
                          Charles

                          2009/7/20 Phil Gyford <lists@...>

                          Hi Charles,

                          I'm afraid this isn't possible using the emails for a variety of
                          technical reasons. The best solution might be to click the date title
                          at the top of the email (eg, "Thursday 19 July 1666") and open that
                          diary entry in your web browser where the quick notes will work as you
                          expect.

                          Phil

                          On 18 Jul, 2009, at 13:18, charlesseris wrote:

                          > New arrival at this brilliant site. I fear this question has been
                          > asked (and answered) before but I can't find it in search...
                          >
                          > On the main diary entries, simply placing the cursor over one of the
                          > highlighted words or names elicits a brief background note, which is
                          > fast and invaluable.
                          >
                          > I would very much like to do the same on the daily emailed entries
                          > but the option doesn't seem to work. Clicking, in either mode, opens
                          > a new page which often has much more detail than I want and -
                          > crucially - holds up the flow.
                          >
                          > Am I missing something obvious? Is there a way round this?
                          >
                          > With thanks
                          > Charles

                          tel: +44 (0)7866 436847
                          aim: philgyford