A very London event - the 4th plinth

  • Peter Easton
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 13, 2009
      Most of you will be aware of the current 'art' event happening in Trafalgar Square http://www.oneandother.co.uk/.
      Like, many, I can't help wondering what I would do with an hour on the plinth. My instinct would be a dedication to Samuel Pepys. The location is at the crossroads of his life in London (though Trafalgar Sq didn't exist then, its right next to Charing Cross). Sam's famous portrait, which we've recently been reading about in the diary is just steps away in the National Portrait Gallery. Why Pepys? He is the most underated personality in English history and needs more publicity. He was also very completely a 'Londoner' and an Englishman (of the South East). He was also at heart an ordinary man (as are the plinthers), but with unexpected fame.
      I've only seen the plinthers on the internet, but I'm sure that going to watch them live is much like going to watch a public execution in Pepys's time. For a Pepys dedication, there would be some logistics to think about. The obvious thing would be to read from the diary. You need a loud hailer to be heard. And you'd have to be careful to choose passages that a lay public would find interesting enough. Of course the report on the Great Fire, and my 'favourite day', the 13th Oct 1660. And for a prop? A large copy of Sam's portrait from the National Portrait Gallery. And of course, mention of the website, pepysdiary.com

      Any other ideas or suggestions? What text should be included? Any volunteers to apply? There's about a 1 in 10 chance of winning a place between now and October.