C 17th. Witch bottle [from Greenwich] is uncorked ...

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 4, 2009
      Witch bottle is uncorked to discover spellbinding content
      Simon de Bruxelles

      Take a small heart-shaped piece of leather, a handful of iron nails, eight brass pins, a lock of hair, some nail clippings, a pinch of navel fluff and place them in a bottle. Then add a pint of urine, seal the bottle and bury it by your front door — this is the recipe for warding off a witch's curse.

      An analysis of the contents of the first witch bottle to be found with its cork intact has cast light on the fear of witchcraft in the 17th century ...

      Continued:
      http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/science/article6426318.ece
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 4, 2009
        Fascinating! Wonder if any of Sam's circle ever did this? And obviously
        not something confined to the kitchen and the nursery - that is - the
        women's world: these were male nail parings in the bottle. In the
        article it mentioned about children's shoes being built into houses: I
        know I have read about this somewhere in excavations done after houses
        have been removed or demolished here - also bent forks. Thank you for
        this Michael!

        A.S.