"Homes of the Royal Society" walking tour, Saturday 6 June 2009 at 2:00pmPublic Lecture

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2009

      http://royalsociety.org/event.asp?id=8566

      "Homes of the Royal Society" walking tour
      Saturday 6 June 2009 at 2:00pmPublic Lecture

      Event Type: Public Lecture

      Location: EC2M 7PD to W1J 0BA

      Email: library@...

               Crane Court

      As part of the Story of London festivities, two experts in the Society's history will be leading a guided walking tour tracing the story of the Royal Society, London's oldest scientific institution.

      We meet at 2pm outside the Hamilton Hall pub in Liverpool Street Station, and walk down Bishopsgate to the location of the old Gresham College, the Society's original home in the 1660s. Passing the sites of some of the coffee houses where Fellows of the Society gathered to discuss their ideas, we visit the Society's 18th century house in Crane Court, off Fleet Street.

      We then continue down the Strand to Somerset House, then to the Society's current home in Carlton House Terrace. The tour finishes at Burlington House in Piccadilly, handy for Green Park tube station. Total walking distance approximately 3.5 miles - will suit keen urban walkers!

      Tickets are £5 per person and places are limited so early booking is advised

      Wish I could be there.

      Terry Foreman