Site News: Pepys on Twitter

    Message 1 of 3 , May 10, 2009
      http://www.pepysdiary.com/about/archive/2009/05/10/9971.php

      Ever one to keep up with the latest technologies, Samuel Pepys has now
      started twittering regularly: http://twitter.com/samuelpepys

      He’ll be updating around three times a day, so feel free to follow him
      if you want to keep up with what he’s doing before he gets round to
      writing his diary at night.

      When thinking of putting Pepys on Twitter my first thought was simply to
      post a quote once a day, with a link to that day’s diary entry. But
      while compiling the quotes for upcoming days I realised that to be more
      in keeping with Twitter the account should update in real time.

      So, technology willing, the samuelpepys account should update regularly
      with quotes from that day’s diary entry as if Sam’s sending them as the
      events happen. Of course, I’ve guessed at the time of day each event
      happens, but they should make sense.

      The only oddity (well, aside from a 17th century Londoner using Twitter)
      is the days of the week not being in sync with our own — so while the
      time of day will be the same as ours (for those in the UK) Pepys will,
      for example, go to church on our Wednesdays.

      I’m aware that posting the day’s events during the course of the day
      could seem like spoilers for that night’s diary. The simple answer is to
      not follow the Twitter feed; the events won’t appear on PepysDiary.com
      so there won’t be any spoilers on this site.

      I hope the upside is that many people will now be able to keep up with
      Pepys’ life, even if in a minimal fashion, who wouldn’t usually read the
      diary at all.

      Many thanks to Phil Greg for donating the samuelpepys Twitter account
      for this purpose.
      Message 2 of 3 , May 10, 2009
        Phil -- this is absolute genius, because there is no doubt SP was an early and enthusiastic adopter of any new technology ...

        Michael

        Message 3 of 3 , May 10, 2009
          Phil, this is awesome. What a great, time-bending idea.