ODNB: Skelton, Bevil (c.1641-1696), diplomat and soldier

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 28, 2009
      Skelton, Bevil (c.1641-1696), diplomat and soldier, was the eldest son of the Yorkshire soldier Sir John Skelton (d. 1673), lieutenant-governor of Plymouth from 1660, and his wife, Bridget (d. 1681), daughter of Sir Peter Prideaux. He later hinted that he served with the tiny royalist army in the 1657 campaign that culminated in the battle of the Dunes. By December 1657 he was a page of honour to the exiled Charles II, and continued in this position briefly after the Restoration, receiving a pension of £120 a year in 1662, the year in which he sold the office.

      Continued -- one week only --
      http://www.oxforddnb.com/public/lotw/
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 28, 2009
        Michael Robinson wrote:

        > Skelton, Bevil (c.1641-1696), diplomat and soldier, was the eldest son
        > of the Yorkshire soldier Sir John Skelton (d. 1673),
        > lieutenant-governor of Plymouth from 1660, and his wife, Bridget (d.
        > 1681), daughter of Sir Peter Prideaux. He later hinted that he served
        > with the tiny royalist army in the 1657 campaign that culminated in
        > the battle of the Dunes. By December 1657 he was a page of honour to
        > the exiled Charles II, and continued in this position briefly after
        > the Restoration, receiving a pension of £120 a year in 1662, the year
        > in which he sold the office.
        >
        > Continued -- one week only --
        > http://www.oxforddnb.com/public/lotw/
        > <http://www.oxforddnb.com/public/lotw/>

        Thank you for this link, MR - I enjoyed reading about Skelton, surely
        one of life's most undiplomatic diplomats! I also liked reading the
        Wollestonecraft entry too - a detailed and thoughtful assessment.