ODNB -- Chiffinch [Cheffin], Thomas (1600-1666), courtier

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 6, 2009
      Chiffinch [Cheffin], Thomas (1600-1666), courtier and royal official, was born at Salisbury, Wiltshire. He was brought to the court of Charles I by Brian Duppa, bishop of Salisbury, in 1641. He appears to have belonged to the Chiffinches of Staplehurst in Kent, and married Dorothy Thanet of Merioneth, with whom he had one son, also called Thomas. The Latin epigraph gracing his monument in Westminster Abbey tells us that Chiffinch was not only a faithful follower of the most serene Charles II in all his fortunes but also, from the first, a man of shining integrity and uprightness. The same could not be said of his younger brother, William Chiffinch, who succeeded Thomas on his death as keeper of the royal closet and backstairs. The two are easily confounded, particularly where records refer simply to 'Chiffinch', but, in the luxury and corruption of his life, William is Thomas's almost biblical antithesis.

      Continued for one week( with portrait attrib. Jacob Huysmans, executed c.1655–60):
      http://www.oxforddnb.com/public/lotw/