ODNB -- Glisson, Francis (1599?-1677), physician, philosopher, etc.

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 12, 2009
      No mention of him in L&M's Index (vol. 11) but hard to believe SP did not at least know him by sight at the Royal Society meetings:

      Glisson, Francis (1599?-1677), physician and philosopher, was most probably born in 1599 in Bristol, the third of at least thirteen children of William Glisson, tailor, and his wife, Mary, daughter of John Hancock of Kingsweston, Somerset, and South Perrott, Dorset ...

      ...From the time of his appointment in Cambridge and during the civil war Glisson frequently spent time in London, living in Fleet Street. From a comment in a letter we know that Glisson was married to Maria Morgan. He took an active role in the scientific life of London ... Glisson was not present at the meeting at Gresham College (28 November 1660) at which the Royal Society was officially proclaimed, but he was one of its original fellows [see Founder members of the Royal Society] ...

      Access for one week only at:
      http://www.oxforddnb.com/public/lotw/
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 12, 2009
        Perhaps Hooke's Minutes/Pepys's Diary will put them at the same meeting(s)
        of the Royal Society.

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 13, 2009
          Having read the biog, (which was very interesting, showing him to be a
          meticulous observer, but hampered by the technology of his time), I
          think he was just rather too boring for our Sam! Not someone to be
          entertaining nor someone to court for professional or social advantage.

          A.S.