Good new book on the Great Fire

  • Peter Easton
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 19 11:42 PM
      I can't see this mentioned so far on the diary website or here. I was
      recently given the book: 'By Permission of Heaven: The Story of the
      Great Fire of London', by Adrian Tinniswood. I'm only about half way
      through, so too soon for a review, but so far excellent. It is just the
      thing to read alongside this stage in the diary as it has a lot on the
      state of London leading up to the Fire. Pepys gets quite a few
      mentions - but as always, not enough true credit for his contribution
      to English history (but perhaps I'm biased). Look it up on Amazon,
      where there are a few reviews, all very positive. I recommend it, and
      may try to write a review for the website when I finish it.
    • Richard Histon