Re: [pepysdiary] Turning Term used in the Navy

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 23, 2009
      Francois,

      Welcome!

      It's possible others have emailed you an answer directly.

      I think you ask a difficult question. I have looked at the passage to
      which you refer:
      http://snipurl.com/amf97

      The list of other items in which "table screws" occur suggests to me that
      they were used in furnishing the cabins used by the officers -- to manage
      the ship and their living quarters.

      Here is a diagram of a modest but well-known early 17th-century ship.
      http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~mosmd/mayflowerbig.htm

      Surely the Great Cabin and Chart House would have tables. The cabins
      occupied by the officers are not shown, but Pepys spoke of them when he
      went to Holland to retrieve Charles Stuart. E.g:
      http://www.pepysdiary.com/archive/1660/03/30/

      Your English is excellent.

      Terry Foreman

      At 04:46 PM 1/22/2009 +0000, you wrote:
      >Hello, I'm new here. I'm trying to understand what could be "table
      >screws" on a ship in Pepys's time. I found this term in a list given by
      >Claire Tomalin, when she explains that one of Pepys's clerks had to
      >compute such a list in order to ascertain how much money the King had
      >lost because of bad financial practices in the Navy.
      >I suspect that "tables screws" have something to do with a milling
      >machine, but has anybody here a more precise idea in mind?
      >Thanks beforehand, and I hope my broken English isn't too hard to
      >understand. (I'm French.)

    • Nick Balmer
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 24, 2009
        Hello Francois,

        Tables dating from the Restoration period often have turned legs

        If you look at the table at the bottom righthand corner of page 147 on the following document, there is a picture of one such table.

        This Spiral Twist or Barley Twist work was very fashionable in England in the 17th century

        It could well be what Pepy's was referring to.

        Regards

        Nick Balmer

      • francois.thouvenot
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 27, 2009
          Thank you both. So in your opinion, tables screws are "real" screws
          used for instance to fix turned legs to tables in the cabins? That
          would be so simple?