Re: [pepysdiary] Pepys-themed art in L.A.

  • Bob Terry
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 16, 2009
      When I see stuff like this I am reminded of the story, "The Emperor's New Clothes".
    • John Mertz
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 16, 2009
        --- In pepysdiary@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Terry" <bobgeorg@...> wrote:

        > When I see stuff like this I am reminded of the story, "The Emperor's
        New Clothes".

        I couldn't understand what your post meant, so I clicked on the link to
        have a look at the "stuff." Now I understand.
        Cheers!
      • Bob Terry
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 17, 2009
          Glad that you saw it John, and there's a lot of this stuff out there.  It takes many forms and I believe that it's sole purpose is to create, and maintain intellectual elitism, which is as phony as a three dollar bill.
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 17, 2009
            For those whose taste runs to the representational:

            Hazel Jenning as Mistress Knapp (one of Samuel Pepys' actress friends)
            in 'And So To Bed' (Ref. 10651)
            by Sir William Russell Flint (British 1880 – 1969)
            http://www.haynesfineart.com/gallery_details.asp?p=353

            Was surprised to get 103,000 Google hits for 'pepys painting' and
            335,000 for 'pepys art', though a lot of the first few pages appear
            tangential.