Re: [pepysdiary] Pepys-themed art in L.A.

  • Hugh Yeman
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 16, 2009
      Interesting article. For everyone's convenience I made a Tiny URL; the long one got interrupted by a line break.

      On Jan 16, 2009, at 2:59 PM, "bgbirney@..." <bgbirney@...> wrote:

      I read this review in this morning's LA Times ... a show of conceptual
      art based on words from Pepys' diary. I don't know if I'll be able to
      get to this but take a peek. I think Sam would be pleased to still be
      relevant and contemporary, whatever era.

      http://latimesblogs .latimes. com/culturemonst er/2009/01/ review-
      monique.html

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 16, 2009

        bg,

        Interesting story and art -- .

        David Paget's review of "Monique Prieto at ACME Gallery" says in part:

        "Five years ago [Monique Prieto] began painting pictures of phrases borrowed from the nine-volume diary of 17th century Englishman Samuel Pepys, in a style best described as caveman-graffiti."

        That captures the two examples well, methinks -- Monique Prieto's "Yesterday and Today," (2007), oil on canvas; and: "Repent! Repent!" (2008), oil on canvas.

        I wonder what "And so to bed" would look like?!

        Terry Foreman

        At 07:59 PM 1/16/2009 +0000, you wrote:
        I read this review in this morning's LA Times ... a show of conceptual
        art based on words from Pepys' diary. I don't know if I'll be able to
        get to this but take a peek. I think Sam would be pleased to still be
        relevant and contemporary, whatever era.

        http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/culturemonster/2009/01/review-monique.html

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            mailto:pepysdiary-digest@yahoogroups.com
            mailto:pepysdiary-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Bob Terry
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 16, 2009
          When I see stuff like this I am reminded of the story, "The Emperor's New Clothes".
        • John Mertz
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 16, 2009
            --- In pepysdiary@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Terry" <bobgeorg@...> wrote:

            > When I see stuff like this I am reminded of the story, "The Emperor's
            New Clothes".

            I couldn't understand what your post meant, so I clicked on the link to
            have a look at the "stuff." Now I understand.
            Cheers!
          • Bob Terry
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 17, 2009
              Glad that you saw it John, and there's a lot of this stuff out there.  It takes many forms and I believe that it's sole purpose is to create, and maintain intellectual elitism, which is as phony as a three dollar bill.
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 17, 2009
                For those whose taste runs to the representational:

                Hazel Jenning as Mistress Knapp (one of Samuel Pepys' actress friends)
                in 'And So To Bed' (Ref. 10651)
                by Sir William Russell Flint (British 1880 – 1969)
                http://www.haynesfineart.com/gallery_details.asp?p=353

                Was surprised to get 103,000 Google hits for 'pepys painting' and
                335,000 for 'pepys art', though a lot of the first few pages appear
                tangential.