Pepys-themed art in L.A.

  • bgbirney@pacbell.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 16, 2009
      I read this review in this morning's LA Times ... a show of conceptual
      art based on words from Pepys' diary. I don't know if I'll be able to
      get to this but take a peek. I think Sam would be pleased to still be
      relevant and contemporary, whatever era.

      http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/culturemonster/2009/01/review-
      monique.html
    • Hugh Yeman

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 16, 2009

          bg,

          Interesting story and art -- .

          David Paget's review of "Monique Prieto at ACME Gallery" says in part:

          "Five years ago [Monique Prieto] began painting pictures of phrases borrowed from the nine-volume diary of 17th century Englishman Samuel Pepys, in a style best described as caveman-graffiti."

          That captures the two examples well, methinks -- Monique Prieto's "Yesterday and Today," (2007), oil on canvas; and: "Repent! Repent!" (2008), oil on canvas.

          I wonder what "And so to bed" would look like?!

          Terry Foreman

          At 07:59 PM 1/16/2009 +0000, you wrote:
          I read this review in this morning's LA Times ... a show of conceptual
          art based on words from Pepys' diary. I don't know if I'll be able to
          get to this but take a peek. I think Sam would be pleased to still be
          relevant and contemporary, whatever era.

          http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/culturemonster/2009/01/review-monique.html

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              mailto:pepysdiary-digest@yahoogroups.com
              mailto:pepysdiary-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Bob Terry
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 16, 2009
            When I see stuff like this I am reminded of the story, "The Emperor's New Clothes".
          • John Mertz
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 16, 2009
              --- In pepysdiary@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Terry" <bobgeorg@...> wrote:

              > When I see stuff like this I am reminded of the story, "The Emperor's
              New Clothes".

              I couldn't understand what your post meant, so I clicked on the link to
              have a look at the "stuff." Now I understand.
              Cheers!
            • Bob Terry
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 17, 2009
                Glad that you saw it John, and there's a lot of this stuff out there.  It takes many forms and I believe that it's sole purpose is to create, and maintain intellectual elitism, which is as phony as a three dollar bill.
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 17, 2009
                  For those whose taste runs to the representational:

                  Hazel Jenning as Mistress Knapp (one of Samuel Pepys' actress friends)
                  in 'And So To Bed' (Ref. 10651)
                  by Sir William Russell Flint (British 1880 – 1969)
                  http://www.haynesfineart.com/gallery_details.asp?p=353

                  Was surprised to get 103,000 Google hits for 'pepys painting' and
                  335,000 for 'pepys art', though a lot of the first few pages appear
                  tangential.