Re: [pepysdiary] ODNB -- Compton, Sir William ( 1625–1663 )

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 11, 2009
      Michael R,

      Thanks for keeping track of these contemporaries of Pepys, and sending out
      notice.
      Thanks also for the link to Compton on pepysdiary.com.

      This entry in the ODNB says:
      "He died suddenly in Drury Lane, London, on 18 October 1663, and was buried
      at Compton Wynyates, where a monument was erected to his memory. Pepys
      recorded his shock at the death of ‘one of the worthiest men and best
      officers of state now in England’. Compton, Pepys thought, was ‘of the best
      temper, valour, abilities of mind, integrity, birth, fine person and
      diligence of any man he hath left behind him in the three kingdoms’"

      Prompting perhaps one of Pepys's most sober reflections on mortality:

      "and yet not forty years old, or if so, that is all. I find the sober men
      of the Court troubled for him; and yet not so as to hinder or lessen their
      mirth, talking, laughing, and eating, drinking, and doing every thing else,
      just as if there was no such thing, which is as good an instance for me
      hereafter to judge of death, both as to the unavoidableness, suddenness,
      and little effect of it upon the spirits of others, let a man be never so
      high, or rich, or good; but that all die alike, no more matter being made
      of the death of one than another, and that even to die well, the praise of
      it is not considerable in the world, compared to the many in the world that
      know not nor make anything of it, nor perhaps to them (unless to one that
      like this poor gentleman, who is one of a thousand, there nobody speaking
      ill of him) that will speak ill of a man."
      http://www.pepysdiary.com/archive/1663/10/19/

      Terry Foreman