ODNB -- Compton, Sir William (1625–1663)

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 11, 2009
      Compton, Sir William (1625–1663), army officer, was born at Compton
      Wynyates, Warwickshire, the third son of Spencer Compton, second earl
      of Northampton (1601–1643), and his wife, Mary Beaumont (d. 1654),
      daughter of Sir Francis Beaumont. He was educated at Eton College
      (1634–6), and in his eighteenth year joined his father's royalist
      regiment, and served with it at the taking of Banbury on 8 August
      1642. He led his men in three attacks, and had two horses shot under
      him during the fighting. Upon the surrender of the town and castle he
      was made lieutenant-governor under his father, and brought over many
      to the king's interest. He was knighted at Oxford on 12 December 1643.

      Continued, for one week only:
      http://www.oxforddnb.com/public/lotw/1.html

      For the 'pepysdiary' bio and index page see:
      http://www.pepysdiary.com/p/751.php
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 11, 2009
        Michael R,

        Thanks for keeping track of these contemporaries of Pepys, and sending out
        notice.
        Thanks also for the link to Compton on pepysdiary.com.

        This entry in the ODNB says:
        "He died suddenly in Drury Lane, London, on 18 October 1663, and was buried
        at Compton Wynyates, where a monument was erected to his memory. Pepys
        recorded his shock at the death of ‘one of the worthiest men and best
        officers of state now in England’. Compton, Pepys thought, was ‘of the best
        temper, valour, abilities of mind, integrity, birth, fine person and
        diligence of any man he hath left behind him in the three kingdoms’"

        Prompting perhaps one of Pepys's most sober reflections on mortality:

        "and yet not forty years old, or if so, that is all. I find the sober men
        of the Court troubled for him; and yet not so as to hinder or lessen their
        mirth, talking, laughing, and eating, drinking, and doing every thing else,
        just as if there was no such thing, which is as good an instance for me
        hereafter to judge of death, both as to the unavoidableness, suddenness,
        and little effect of it upon the spirits of others, let a man be never so
        high, or rich, or good; but that all die alike, no more matter being made
        of the death of one than another, and that even to die well, the praise of
        it is not considerable in the world, compared to the many in the world that
        know not nor make anything of it, nor perhaps to them (unless to one that
        like this poor gentleman, who is one of a thousand, there nobody speaking
        ill of him) that will speak ill of a man."
        http://www.pepysdiary.com/archive/1663/10/19/

        Terry Foreman