Advert: Victuals Grove: Modern English Country House

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 5, 2008
      Friends,

      It's been awhile since Pepys mentioned the Forest of Dean. It popped up
      today in the New York Times online, which led me to this site w/ pics of
      the timely-named house, but no trees marked with the King's arrow..

      Terry Foreman:

      ----------------------

      Victuals Grove: Modern English Country House
      The New York Times 11.5.08

      Would you like to cook in an octagonal kitchen with an octagonal stove on
      28 acres of private forest about 100 miles west of London? Victuals [
      VIT-tells ] Grove is a modern home in the Forest of Dean. Designed by
      British architects and brothers Bob and Tim Organ in the 60s, the home
      embraces the surrounding forest landscape. The New York Times shows us this
      unique country house and gives us a brief history of the octagonal themed
      3,400-square-foot home...

      Another home made mostly from cinder block! Check out the full story, In
      England, a Modern Home in an Ancient Forest and all the pictures in the
      slideshow — the homes forest surrounding [sic] are extraordinary!

      Pics: Jolanta Dolewska

      http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/ny/real-estate/victuals-grove-modern-english-country-house-the-new-york-times-11508-068723

      The advert page has a link to the NYTimes story
      http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/05/greathomesanddestinations/05gh-england.html?_r=1&ref=realestate&oref=slogin

      and another to the images there.
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 5, 2008
        Thanks for this, Terry. I greatly enjoyed looking at the pictures - especially the one with the view. For more information about the F of D in other times, read A Child in the Forest by Winifred Foley. For information on this and lots more about the F of D, see the Forest's own website http://www.fweb.org.uk/Dean/deanhist/winifred_foley.htm  Foley's book is good because it is quite a harsh look at impoverished country life.

        A.S.