Re: [pepysdiary] Folger Exhibition: Renaissance Journalism and the Birth of the Newspaper

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 21, 2008
      This sounds WONDERFUL! Wish I could get there. Old newspapers are
      fascinating. I fell in love with reading them when doing research on
      popular opinion displayed in my local newspapers (Bristol) in the 1790s
      towards events in France. But as I found, read and recorded what I was
      supposed to find, my eye strayed over all sorts of things - local news,
      advertisements - the shipping news of arrivals and departures (so vital
      to bristol), fashion gossip, what was on in the playhouses, even lost
      and found columns.As a librarian, I do rather regret that people no
      longer research newspapers from microfilm reels, but get it in online
      digitized indices. Actually reading the article as it was set up and
      displayed, together with all the other local information, adverts,
      gossip and so on round about it gives a unique flavour to what you are
      reading and, I think, helps with your research, although probably in a
      completely intangible and unquantifiable manner (this from someone
      married to a consultant statistician). I think it is that fascination
      which draws me so much to our Sam: recording events of national and
      historical importance and details of his new clothes with equal attention.

      Australian Susan