Site News: Mark annotations for attention

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 15, 2008
      http://www.pepysdiary.com/about/archive/2008/10/15/9094.php

      Keeping the annotations tidy requires occasional tending. Despite all
      the spam filters a few spam annotations get through occasionally, and
      these only get deleted when someone notices them and emails me. And
      occasionally there are accidentally duplicated annotations which need
      tidying up. Also, an unfortunate number of annotations have been
      truncated during past database moves.

      So, many thanks to those who have doing a fine job at calling my
      attention to such things, particularly Todd, Terry and Dirk.

      I’ve now added a little thing to make it easier for people to mark
      annotations for attention and easier for me to deal with them. At the
      top of each annotation is a little “Flag this” link. Try clicking one
      (I’ve posted an example annotation below which you can try). You’ll see
      a screen that lets you flag an annotation with one of the following:

      * Spam
      If it’s one of the many, and increasingly bizarre, spams.

      * Truncated
      If the annotation disappears abruptly (usually at an apostrophe or
      similar punctuation mark). These are usually annotations from some time ago.

      * Duplicated
      If there are two identical annotations, usually next to each other, you
      can flag one of them.

      * Off-topic
      If an annotation is flagrantly off-topic and you’d like to draw it to my
      attention. It might not need deletion, more of a nudge from me to the
      author.

      * Edit required
      If an annotation, probably one of your own, needs something corrected.
      Unfortunately there’s no other way to do this, so this is how.

      * Other
      If there’s another reason, you’re just not sure which category this
      falls into, choose this.

      You can optionally add an explanation, although it’s often not necessary
      (say, for obvious spam). And you can include your name and email address
      if you like, which may be useful if it’s something we might need to discuss.

      If you change your mind, just hit the ‘Cancel’ button and you’ll be
      taken back to where you were, no harm done!

      An annotation can only be flagged once so the “Flag this” link won’t
      disappear if someone’s got there ahead of you. You can assume I’ll deal
      with it soon.

      This should all make it easier and quicker for anyone to bring this
      stuff to my attention, and easier and quicker for me to deal with it.
      Which should make the place more pleasant for everyone.

      Do let me know if you find any problems or have any other comments. Thanks!

      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 15, 2008
        Phil:

        Thank you once again for your technical creativity, ingenuity and, not
        least, the ceaseless work.

        Michael