Re: Your Group has been inactive for 90 days

  • Naomi
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 10, 2006
      All other Yahoo Groups that I belong to have the occasional OT
      discussion. The Social Group only received 21 messages during its
      existence and has not been used since the beginning of January. Would
      it not be possible to allow some OT discussions on this Group rather
      than having two overlapping Groups?

      Naomi
    • Mark Peaty
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 10, 2006
        My 2¢ worth: I find that my Mozilla Thunderbird [and is that or is it not a pretentious name?] email client allows me to keep track of different conversation threads in the various email groups I follow. A relatively simple trick is to set up filters which move new messages to their respective subject folders. If vanilla Mozilla can do it, I'm sure Netscape can, and I do a similar thing with the MS Outlook I use at work. If you use a range of folders like this, the most up to date version of Mozilla lets you set a 'retention policy' for each folder and this allows you to have 'old' messages automatically deleted. Outlook has a similar process it calls 'auto-archiving'.
        [and of course 'old' is what you define it as for each folder]

        And, just for the record, can I make a vote of thanks to all the incorrigible  no, irrepressible! annotators who add immeasurably to both the entertainment value and the mind expanding, educational historico-socio-politico-whatchammacallit, value of the diary.

        Our Samuel is an amazing character when you consider the energy with which he goes about his life and work. One thing we have to infer rather than often read, it seems to me, is that he had to plan each day rather well due to the distances he had to travel to keep appointments; having his 'boy' or a paid messenger run somewhere with a note was nothing like having phones, SMS, and email for keeping tabs on colleagues and clients.

        I sometimes wonder just how much of a sense of humour Sam has. He is, I think, an extrovert who thinks. This is what allows him to do so much and not get bogged down in ruminations. He wants to know how things work and why things happen but doesn't get deeply obsessed -  except of course when persons named Pemberton seem to spend a lot of time in the vicinity of his wife. If Mr Pepys had been an introvert, like me for example, his diary might have been deep and meaningful but we would never have heard about it because he didn't do anything particularly interesting. However he often says: '... and we were very merry' or some such, yet he does not seem to joke with himself in the diary.

        Another thing that struck me, which maybe reflects more on me than him, is that in his reporting of the 'recent' victory of the Portuguese over the Spanish which seemed to feature some significant help from the Brits, there seems to be no trace of horror in his relating that 10,000 men perished. On the contrary, he seems more interested in the reputation and prestige of the English 'Horse'.

        Regards

        Mark Peaty
        mpeaty@...
        http://www.arach.net.au/~mpeaty/
        http://eiffel.dcc.ufla.br/focus/index.php

        Eccena@... wrote:

         I prefer this group because I do not have to hunt it up. I get on the web and the entries are there.

        ellen

        Virus Database (VPS): 0628-1, 10/07/2006
        Tested on: 10/07/2006 10:15:26 PM

        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 10, 2006
          At 11:18 +0000 2006-07-10, Naomi wrote:
          >All other Yahoo Groups that I belong to have the occasional OT
          >discussion. The Social Group only received 21 messages during its
          >existence and has not been used since the beginning of January. Would
          >it not be possible to allow some OT discussions on this Group rather
          >than having two overlapping Groups?

          It's possible, but it will always cause friction - there are some
          people who *only* want Pepys-related stuff, and others who have the
          time and/or inclination to be much more "sociable" within this
          community. So what's a slight diversion off topic for one person is
          an annoyance for someone else.

          I'll set up a new Yahoo! list for it, so as to keep things in one
          place, and you can join it or not as desired.

          tel: +44 (0)7866 436847
          aim: philgyford